• Register Today It's free!

gas pedal stuck for a few seconds

davejal1991

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Mountaineer
I have a '01 mountaineer 5.0 and the other day after the truck sat for about 5 days I drove it and when i gave it a little more throttle the pedal got stuck so i put the truck in neutral and about a second later the pedal released. Is this jus a fluke from the engine being cold and wet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the floor matts first , than inspect the linkage where the cable hooks up,, both on the pedal and the engine,,

Be sure you check and lube both the throttle and cruise control cables.

Might want to clean the throttle body too...never hurts.

What should I use to clean the throttle body?

At your local auto parts store, wally world, you will find MAF,throttle body cleaner. Do not use carb cleaner. Carb cleaner could possibly damage the cats.

I have a '01 mountaineer 5.0 and the other day after the truck sat for about 5 days I drove it and when i gave it a little more throttle the pedal got stuck so i put the truck in neutral and about a second later the pedal released. Is this jus a fluke from the engine being cold and wet?

One more thing to check: The bracket that holds the gas pedal to the firewall is riveted in place; those rivets can break and let the gas pedal move around. Happened to me 300 miles from home; luckily, it was mostly interstate home as I had to drive back using the cruise control for most accel/decel. There is TSD on this issue, but don't think it was a recall so dealer won't fix for free. The fix is fairly easy - you just drill out the rivets in the bracket; clean up the holes in the firewall; and replace with bolts.

Back