Gas pump stops every second, gas spits out while filling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas pump stops every second, gas spits out while filling

MintyFresh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Explorer
Gas pump automatically shuts off every couple seconds and actually sprayed out while my wife was pumping it.

I took off the gas line hose to the tank and pressed in that little piece but it did nothing. Also shot air down the vent hose from the rear of the car.

Any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same scenario this past winter. Replaced the entire filler assembly after reading posts on this forum. This fixed my problem. Not to say it is your problem as it could also be the vapor solenoid on the tank acting up.

I have that happen at some pumps but not others.

In my case it's the pump's pressure sensor, it thinks that the tank is full.

I just don't go to those station's particular pumps anymore.

It happened to a rental car I had also.

MT

So I ripped off the filler neck and there is zero obstruction inside. Bummer... Not sure what to look at next

Also what the heck is this ...it's one of the tubes at the top of the filler neck

http://s32.postimg.org/4x56b5dj9/image.jpg
image.jpg

That is a vent hose.

The plastic piece on the end allows air in and out while keeping liquids from passing through.

MT

That is a vent hose.

The plastic piece on the end allows air in and out while keeping liquids from passing through.

MT

Oh okay, I thought there was only 1 cent hose.

The saga continues.. stay tuned

Back