Gas pumps clicking off at wrong time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas pumps clicking off at wrong time

TequilaSnrs087

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill/Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
I just had the gas filler neck on my 95 Sport replaced with a replacement in very good condition. The old one was rotted out and leaking a lot. Anyway, with the old one, I always had trouble at gas pumps because they wouldn't want to fill the tank. I'd have to hold the nozzle a certain way for it to fill. I was hoping it was just the leaky filler neck causing this, but it is still doing it with the new one. Any ideas of what to check? I'm guessing this is caused by a bad seal somewhere in the fuel system, but I don't know where to begin looking. The filler neck doesn't seem to be the culprit since the replacement had no apparent damage at all, and it attaches to the tank with quick disconnect fittings, not hose clamps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had this problem with all of my cars for the past 2 years. I think it's something new with the pumps. I've learned with my Explorer to add 2.25 gallons from when the pump cuts off if I hold it normally.

I didnt know anyone besides me had this problem. With the older kind of pumps, the ones that dont have that acordian type plastic over the nozzle (kinda looks like a shock boot), the gas pump works fine. But the ones that do have that plastic, i found out that if for the first 10 or 15 seconds or so i hold the pump instead of setting it down in the filler neck, and i squeeze the handle half way. Then after that i gently set it down and lock the handle halfway. That only works at certain gas pumps though. I dont even remember when this started though.

Maybe this isn't a problem with the truck then. My Ranger has never had a problem, but there could be differences between the trucks that could have an effect I guess.

pull the sleeve on the nozzle back when filling up and see if that works. a lot of those type of nozzles can't keep up with the amount of fumes coming from the tank while filling.

if the pumps you use don't have that sleeve, then try turning the nozzle over so it's standing up(trigger above the fuel inlet). some vehicles just can't handle fast flowing pumps that are normally used now.

I have the same problem with my '98 dont have any tips but your not the only one......Ive had 6 different cars befor my explorer and never had this problem. Also at work we have a 1994 explorer...it happens on this one too.....I dont think its the pump either bc in addition to that truck we have 3 crown vics, 2 impalas, and 2 blazers, explorer is the only one it happens to. But like i said I have no idea why it happens I just got used to it, and kinda forgot about it untill i read your post.

I'm guessing its a new safety device with the newer pumps, and it makes them overly sensitive.

My Mounty seems more finicky then any other vehicle I've had. I've learned to point the nozzle in just the right direction to get the gas to flow smoothly into the tank. I think it has something to do with the diameter and orientation of the filler tube into the tank from the inlet. The nozzle shuts off when fuel/foam is backed up to the tip of the nozzle.

Seems to be normal with at least gen2's my gen1 never had the problem.

I have this exact same problem with my 2000 sport. The only trick that seems to work for me is to put the nozzle all the way in and then pull it back half way before you let it rest in place. Works for me almost all the time, but some pumps are more sensitive than others.

I have the same problem sometimes....what I do is just put the nozzle in half way and it works just fine.

Back