• Register Today It's free!

Gas smell in exhaust?

Majisto

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
It has been very cold today, and I decide to start my truck a few minutes before leaving my friend's house to warm her up (Thank goodness for the keypad :) ), when I noticed a fairly strong gasoline smell coming out of the exhaust of the X. I guess maybe a slight gasoline smell is normal, but I just had a code for a small leak in the evap. system, and I think something is up with the fuel system. Could this be a bad O2 sensor, and my truck is running rich for some reason?

Mine did the exact same thing and idled like poo. It was upstream bank 2 02

However, it is very normal for the truck to run rich when starting up, especially when cold. The computer is operating in "open loop" mode until all the sensors warm up. However, if it runs rich after a few minutes and/or until the coolant warms up then you have a problem somewhere.

Originally posted by Alec
However, it is very normal for the truck to run rich when starting up, especially when cold. The computer is operating in "open loop" mode until all the sensors warm up. However, if it runs rich after a few minutes and/or until the coolant warms up then you have a problem somewhere.
Ok, that's kind of what I was thinking. It had been running about 2 hours ago, but it cools down quickly when it's 30 degrees outside...

Back