• Register Today It's free!

Gas Spillage.

BlackKnight

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 FORD EXPLORER LTD
I'm pretty certain this is normal, but I just want to make sure. I always like to fill my tank all the way up. I have had 3 fill ups, and every time I fill up my tank, when the tank is close to full, gas comes out of the bottom of the tank and goes on the ground. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never knew if it was normal, but mine did it as well.

You can't top it up due to the capless system. At least that is what my dealer told me..

...but you should be able to fill it until the pump stops for the 1st time right?

Yes, you should be able to fill it up to the first auto shut off. One thing you should do is wait a few seconds before pulling the hose out. This gives it time to train the line into the tank. If you pull it too fast it will drain out, even a little blurb about it in the manual.

That said, if it's doing it even if you wait it sounds like it's just overfilling a little more before the pump senses it and shuts off.

I'm pretty certain this is normal, but I just want to make sure. I always like to fill my tank all the way up. I have had 3 fill ups, and every time I fill up my tank, when the tank is close to full, gas comes out of the bottom of the tank and goes on the ground. Is this normal?
It is normal but aso not a very safe thing to do.
From your Owner's Guide;

Important safety precautions
WARNING: Do not overfill the fuel tank. The pressure in an
overfilled tank may cause leakage and lead to fuel spray and fire.

Note: A fuel spillage concern may occur if overfilling the fuel tank. Do
not overfill the tank to the point that the fuel is able to bypass the fuel
filler nozzle. The overfilled fuel may run down the drain located within
the fuel filler housing and to the ground.

It is recommended that you don't try to add any more gasoline after the pump has 'clicked off' for the second time.

Peter

...but you should be able to fill it until the pump stops for the 1st time right?
They Owner's Guide says;

• Allow no more than two automatic click–offs when filling.

Peter

Is it spilling when you pull the hose out of the tank? Or is it spilling on it's own before the pump even stops?

If it's spilling when you pull the hose out of the tank it's because you aren't giving it time for the vacuum to subside. Wait 5-10 seconds from the time it stops to the time you pull the hose out to avoid this.

If it's spilling on it's own before the pump even stops then there may be something wrong w/ the fuel inlet, you'll want a service department to look at it.

It can happen. I did it accidentally at home when trying to top it off with a canister. I knew I was getting full because i can hear it when it starts gurgling, but got it too far and then came out from the bottom somewhere

Back