Gas Tank Filling Problem

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
This isn't on either of our Explorers. My boss's actually. '02 XLT V6 for a little background. When he tries to fill the gas tank up the pump keeps clicking off like the tank is full. Gauge doesn't read full. Tried different pumps, different stations, pulling the nozzle out a bit. Keeps clicking off. You can trickle it in to fill it up, the gauge then reads full. So its not the sender. What could this possibly be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the most common problem is people leaving their vehicle running or in the on position which activates the evap canister vent valve causing a vacuum effect thereby making the system think its full. Otherwise it could be a bad vent valve or filler neck problem not allow for fuel pressure equalization when filling.

i have similar prob i nearly have to pull the hose right out of the neck of the tank

I also have the same problem, doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes.

Does it matter the temperature? I'm thinking that may be a variable here. Where at in the 'burgh are ya from?

IAmTodd said:
Does it matter the temperature? I'm thinking that may be a variable here. Where at in the 'burgh are ya from?
I'm about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, Beaver County

mine does it and i live in sunny San Diego Ca.

not all the time though...

camaro_guy_z28 said:
I'm about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, Beaver County

I didn't think there was anyone on this board that close to me... huh.

Mine does this fairly regularly or at least it did. In the filler neck there is that nifty plastic thingy that has the same size hole as the nozzle. I broke the damn thing out of there and have an old school open filler neck now :rolleyes:.

Now when I fill up, I have to hold the nozzle rather than checking my oil, but as long as I hold it at the right angle there is no problem. Of course now I need to watch carefully for splash back, but it worked for being a un-intentional "fix" .

Back