• Register Today It's free!

Gas tank Skid plate

Nicaraguense

Reaction score
City, State
Jonesboro, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4Dr XLT 4WD 4.0
Here is the deal. I wish I had a camera I would show this to you. I saw a straight up climb that tops off with a flat plateau. I said, I can take that in my 2000 STOCK 4WD explorer. Well, I did. The problem is when the front end made it to the top and the back end was still on the lower ground it hit with a boom. That BOOM put a huge dent in the front end of my gas tank. I lost about a gallon of fuel capacity in my tank. To protect a new (or more likely junk yard tank) I will get in the future, do they (I know the do because I have the bolt holes for it right in front of my tank) make a skid plate for the gas tank and WHY did mine not come with it if it is a 2000 4x4 XLT? Anyone know how bad expensive those things are?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tcase and tank plates together are about $150. Ford cut them out to save money. I got mine through fordpartsnetwork.com

look for them at a junkyard (while you're there for the tank) off any 95 - 97 model. they all had the skid plates standard. or get them from fordpartsnetwork like alec said. torrie is great to deal with and will hook you up for a good deal.

you should the one for the transfer case also.

I bought 2 last year to use for other reasons and gave 50 bucks for them both from a local junk yard. I've never put one on or taken one off, but i hear it's a pain in the butt, for the gas tank. Tcase is a simple 4 bolts.

Originally posted by JoshC
I bought 2 last year to use for other reasons and gave 50 bucks for them both from a local junk yard. I've never put one on or taken one off, but i hear it's a pain in the butt, for the gas tank. Tcase is a simple 4 bolts.

Ahhh, it ain't that bad... just don't try to do it yourself with no jack. And make sure you remove the right set of bolts. I accidentally dropped the gas tank too and it came down on my stomach as i was laying on the creeper... That woke me up!

And don't feel bad: My '99 Sport 4x4 didn't have em but my gf's dad's '94 2WD has em :rolleyes:

nah.. the gas tank is only 4 bolts also. its pretty easy. i did both during lunch. its a tight squeeze on one of the spots, but not bad. it helps if you have a floor jack that you can use to hold the tank up while you tighten bolts. i'm guessing it would suck without having that.

Originally posted by jasonb
it helps if you have a floor jack that you can use to hold the tank up while you tighten bolts. i'm guessing it would suck without having that.

Yeah, but when in a pinch, your stomach/chest can work wonders for holding it up ;) Great ab workout too!

I put mine on without having to unbolt the tank. The one bolt took some work (rear left side of plate) but it wasn't that bad.

Those skid plates are not that beefy and will bend if you put the trucks weight on them. I know because my tcase skid plate now does not bolt right up, I need to bend it a little for the holes to line up. Still, they're better than no skid plates.

yeah my tank one has big dents all in it. i'd hate to see the tank if it wasn't there

Thanks

Thanks guys

I did both of them myself, held the tank plate up with my knees and head :confused:

Originally posted by jasonb
yeah my tank one has big dents all in it. i'd hate to see the tank if it wasn't there

heh you should see mine, it's actually cracked in one spot. :eek:

So

So the skid plates that come on these things, ¿Are they not very strong?

No, they aren't the toughest things in the world, but they do protect from, say a stick going throught the gas tank, or a sharp rock peeling the gas tank back like a tuna can. That's what they are made for.

They're not meant to hold up the entire vehicle, but they do help out greatly.

Now that some more experienced

Now that some more experienced veterans are here. I have a few questions about the Torsoin bar Twist. Mine has not been touched (to my knowledge it has abit of a butt sag but no more than all the onthers I see out on the road) Anyways, one of my screws doesn't have much left in it. If I have to bottom out that screw to get the 2" (or 1.75" is fine), If it is bottomed out ¿Does that mean that THat side won't have any downward play in the suspention? That is to say if I bottom that screw out, and I hit a pot hole on that side, ¿Will that side not go down any at all?
If the above is the case, ¿Can I change the screws out to longer ones or do something? I want to do the 2"TT and get warrior shackles as well a 2" body lift and put 32's under it. That is why I am so concerned. I am going to start off with a TT and shackles (just for ground clearance) and 31's (I found a half used set in great shape for really cheap). Just some concernes.

Also

¿How much of a rear end lift do those warrrior shackles give the explorer? ¿Exactly 2"?

Back