Gas Tank Thread

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
Ok E@TCock did bring up a good point with the gas tank thread, my gas tank is all alreadyalso a gallon short and i have only wheel'ed like 4 or 5 times (granted a f250 does have more clearenece and causes habits). I was thinking mayb a fueal cell but would love a way to lift the tank or maybe find out someone make a plastic one or something. Lets get the gears rolling an come up with a good idea

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a better skid plate?

Sure you even have skid plates? I know alot of 98+ didn't come from the factory with skid plates. BUT with having said that when I dropped my gastank to install my sliders I noticed I had a rather large dent through the skid plate.

:D Tee hee I am currently about 2 gallons short and surprised I have yet to punch a hole.

The problem with a skid being built below the tank is that it's gonna be even lower. My breakover angle sucks and in part due to the tank.

Somebody should figure out a way to raise the tank for me :D , I have been thinking on it for a while, but there is a frame crossmember right above it.

EDIT:
The gas tank is actually in a 'Basket', which holds the tank in place.

It seems that there is an arm, that resembles a cross member holding up the basket... thats from looking on the passenger side of the car

i still havent had a good chance to look at this, but from the looks of it (and if its what im hoping) it shouldnt be much harder then putting a block in place to lift the tank

794907_9_full.jpg

Dreamr i looked under my frame today...

that cross member that holds on the gas tank doesnt actually go all the way across, infact it just holds the gas tank up

i gotta really sit down and look at it but i've tried to do what i can from work

Wudup yo word said:
Dreamr i looked under my frame today...

that cross member that holds on the gas tank doesnt actually go all the way across, infact it just holds the gas tank up

i gotta really sit down and look at it but i've tried to do what i can from work

Hmm I need to poke around under there today anyway, maybe we will get it figured out then.

check out my other post... i updated it, and re-did the picture. I just got back from lunch so i got a second to peek under there.

ok, looks like i need a lot of washers, new some new hardware and a couple feet of 2'' box tubing and an empty gas tank.. i think i am just gonna use the 2" tubing to moving everything up, and later make a skid plate.. input please ( just no torchin' i am hung over)

Hmm I was up under there last night and on my 99 there is a solid cross member above the tank that it is mounted to. that cross member appears to be welded to the frame rails as well. hmm time for a skid plate I guess, cause I don't think it can move up.

Hm that is an interesting idea about raising the gas tank; but...I have always thought that the 91-94 gas tank was about as high as it could be. In other words, I have always thought that it really couldn't be raised any more than it is, unless you got a body lift to move the cab up... I should get underneath and look at it more closely...and see what the clearance between the tank and body really is...

Actually that is where the idea originally surfaced was during a body lift conversation.
I figure there is 3 inches less metal to crush if I could get it up there, but I hate to cut a cross member. If it is mounted differently than I believe. The crossmember could possibly be spaced upward as represented in the drawings above, but how would that effect the rigidity of the frame . Especially being so close to the flexiest part of the truck?

Yeah a body lift is what initiated me to want to lift the tank.

on my 92 im pretty sure it looks like my paint drawing up there...

My tranny imploded this week so I have to put a new tranny on this weekend, and im trying to re-gear + a Truetrac to the rear.

So if i remember ill take a good serious look at it. I know mine wasnt welded, it was bolted.

well i'm going to defineitely subscribe to this thread because before i did my body lift it annoyed me and now its even worse. i want better specs than an H2. with the TT i match the H2 and with my 33's that i should get next tuesday, it will be greater than the H2 with the air ride thingy. and i know H2's suck anyway and its not that great of a goal, but i need sumthin. and i havent calculated it yet, but i'm almost positive the H2 has a better breakover angle, but if i could move the gas tank i think i would come close. btw. H2 front crossmember ground clearance is 9.7", 10.7" with air ride and it has sumthin like 40 degree aproach and departure angles.

find out how bad relocating a cross-member up 3 in's is

planning this thing out now

ok, first things first, can i cut out the cross member and move it? if not then how about cutting it out and raising it up 2 or 3 inches with some u channel welded to the top of the frame?

if the above is possible and structurely sound the is feasible to do this.

i was thinking 3/16 steel for the skid plate, with a center runner/ brace to the reenforced crossmember. (if its moved the just some more u channel frame to frame.) then run on brace at an angle from the outside corners to the frame at angle with gussets on the frame to them to keep from twisting the frame. Will be doing an acad mock up and will post it when i find my memory stick.

any problems with any of this?

oh and can a mod rename this thread to Gas tank not Gat tank thanks

Fixed the title for you. ;)

bump, and thanks rangerx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back