Larry B 64

Reaction score
City, State
Providence, Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I am waiting on my 2020 Explorer ST.
Wondering if I can use 87 Octane fuel or
must I use higher. What are current owners using?

Larry B.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been using 87 on my ST. It still has plenty of power and I can’t imagine the MPG boost or power boost with high octane would be worth the premium paid. I am getting about 19.5 MPG with a mix of city and highway driving. It is about a mile per gallon better than my 2011 Explorer, which is amazing since the ST has way more power.

Using 87, getting 22-23 mpg. To get max advertised power requires 93 BUT it definitely does not need it. On top of that, on 87, the vehicle really moves when you stomp on it.

Have used 87 and currently using 93 because it’s been fairly cheap around here. Averaging about 22 overall since new. Can’t say if it’s any faster on 93 but it’s definitely not slower :cool:

Welcome to the Forum Larry.:wave:
As with the 5th gen Sport, the Manual recommends 87 octane, but for peak performance and/or towing, premium is recommended. While you are waiting, you can download a copy of the Owner's Manual. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_06_2019.pdf

Peter
‘Thanks Peter, have another question. The rear trailer hitch now shows whereas previous Sport Explorer had a cover to hide the hitch. Wonder if anyone has found an cover that can go on to give a better look to the back?

‘Thanks Peter, have another question. The rear trailer hitch now shows whereas previous Sport Explorer had a cover to hide the hitch. Wonder if anyone has found an cover that can go on to give a better look to the back?

There is no cover but plenty of plugs to at least cover the hole.

I have seen the plugs. I have. 2017 Sport and like the finished look in the back. Maybe an aftermarket cover may be available later this year.

I only run premium in any cars I own. Is it required... no, but it definitely runs better

10.5:1 compression and boost. Seems like really high pressures to me on 87.
I'll be running 93. $8 more per fill.

I only run premium in any cars I own. Is it required... no, but it definitely runs better

No offense but if it is not programmed for it, it does nothing for it except waste money. 93 will not run better on a 87 tune.

10.5:1 compression and boost. Seems like really high pressures to me on 87.
I'll be running 93. $8 more per fill.

I would agree.

No offense but if it is not programmed for it, it does nothing for it except waste money. 93 will not run better on a 87 tune.

Also agree, you will always get the best performance out of the lowest octane fuel as long as its sufficient to suppress detonation with optimal ignition timing.

I was told by Livernois they saw about 8 HP difference (with their tune) between 91 and 93. Not sure if the ECM will pull timing out if your running less than 93 stock, but I suspect it may under the right conditions. But as you mention, the ST will run just fine on 87.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

With 87 octane, from what I gather, will keep your knock sensor busy, and ignition timing pulled back. Available torque and hp is not to potential even within the factory tune. The latter I'm certain of. Whether or not boost is reduced while sensing knock I'm not certain of, but would logically assume so. This is now a premium SUV, and like the others such as BMW, MB, Audi, etc., do benefit from 93 octane. I think ford put the "87 octane ok" caveat in the manual to ease the minds of folks not willing to drop that extra 10 spot at every fill up.
Curiously, my manual omits the fuel requirements print under the 3.0 tt engine section.

While cruising the various EcoBoost forums, I found this interesting post from a fella with real world results on his sho with various octane gas. Plausible?

"No opinion as such but here is the real data from the spreadsheet on my SHO with EcoBoost. I did a fuel test with Regular, Mid Grade and Premium to see what the difference would be as far as the MPG. I ran 10 tanks of each blend using the same gas brand, Quik-Trip which is a Tier-1 fuel, in all tests.

Regular: 17.9MPG
Mid-Grade: 19.7MPG
Premium: 19.8MPG

As far as the Cost Per Mile, which is actually better than "MPG" only when looking at cost, the results were:

Regular: $0.20
Mid-Grade: $0.17
Premium: $0.18

Regular was the most expensive gas to use in my SHO."

I out 93 in yesterday and will run it for a few tanks. It is my wife's daily driver and her route is always the same so without telling her, I am curious to see her average now. She gets 21.6-21.9mpg on 87 consistently. Where I filled up was 40 cents more per gallon so about $6 a tank each week more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I out 93 in yesterday and will run it for a few tanks. It is my wife's daily driver and her route is always the same so without telling her, I am curious to see her average now. She gets 21.6-21.9mpg on 87 consistently. Where I filled up was 40 cents more per gallon so about $6 a tank each week more.
I'm not sure how that guy came to his equations but even at 2 mpg better we are talking maybe 40 miles more per fill, so 2 ish gallon savings equating to about $6.
I see no cost savings. What I see is marginal more cost, maybe $5 per fill for added performance and a happier engine.
Around here 91 or 93 is same price, about .50 per gallon higher than 87.....I will always use a station with 93 over 91 even if its .10 or more per gal from station to station.
Dont forget the pcm is slow to realize higher octane, but quick to recognize the 87.

Back