Gasoline smell after driving for a while | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gasoline smell after driving for a while

BNK

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
I smell gasoline after driving for a while in heavy traffic and it's normally when I have half a tank or less. Firestone told me it was a gas cap but I think they diagnosed it incorrectly because I got a new gas cap and can still smell gas on occasion. I really don't want to pay that ridiculous diagnostic fee for them to tell me something obvious.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I have a 1993 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is not something that can be accurately diagnosed over the internet. At best its a bad charcoal canister, but is just as likely to be a fuel leak somewhere. If Firestone saw gas by the fuel neck, I would start there. A cracked filler hose, or any of the fuel lines. At the age these are at, the sending unit steel lines rust through and burst, although its not as likely in Texas. Do not drive it until you figure it out.

Could be the hose to the EVAP canister under the hood came loose or were knocked off when checking oil. That's what happened to me when I started to smell gas after awhile. The hose just fits in via press-fit with a plastic sleeve. Should just slide right back on.

Reactions: BNK

On these, its most likely the charcoal canister on the drivers side of the engine bay, or the lines going to/from it. There's also a valve under the drivers side of the intake manifold that has a T connection that breaks right off due to age.

Or you could have a leaking Injector Top O-Ring on one or more injectors.

Thank you all. After some diagnosing (it did take a while to accurately do so) I'm 99% certain it's a problem with the EVAP system as you guys mentioned. The first part of my diagnostic was checking the fuel lines and then having a shop check them, and during both checks there were no leaks found. So I ruled that out. My next target was the canister; I can't find any vapor/charcoal canisters online for my specific model year but my vehicle has other problems that let me know that it's probably the purge valve solenoid instead of the charcoal canister. Sometimes when I drive I hear a whistle (sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's quiet), and when I looked up common EVAP problems, a vacuum leak caused by a poorly functioning purge valve is one of them. This problem is also triggering my check engine light which is on and off as a drive.

@2stroke , @Jason94sport , @Mike_J - I have plans to have it fixed on Monday, but my new question is: is this an easy DIY? From the videos I've watched it looks like I can access the purge valve from the engine bay, though none of these videos are for the first gen Explorer. If so I can order a solenoid online and knock it out when it gets here, otherwise I was going to take it to a shop, but I'd like to avoid that trouble if I can.

Also I'm new to this maintenance stuff so if I used any terms incorrectly or said anything stupid or wrong, feel free to correct me.

You can replace it. But it's a small space to work. And the other problem are the rubber hoses attached to the plastic T of the valve. 99.9% the plastic is going to snap off when you try to remove the hoses. Then you have to pry the stuck plastic out of the hose.

Do you hear a hiss sound when you open the gas cap? If not, there is no pressure in the system possibly due to failing um, darn! --it's that recycle valve gizmo under the hood. I can't remember the proper name for it, but will write back if I remember.
I breathed gas all summer one year before figuring out what had failed on my 1994 Explorer!! No pressure release hiss when opening gas cap is the big "hint".

Good Luck!
-cd

My next target was the canister; I can't find any vapor/charcoal canisters online for my specific model year but my vehicle has other problems that let me know that it's probably the purge valve solenoid instead of the charcoal canister. Sometimes when I drive I hear a whistle (sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's quiet), and when I looked up common EVAP problems, a vacuum leak caused by a poorly functioning purge valve is one of them. This problem is also triggering my check engine light which is on and off as a drive.

You should pull the code, to see what it is. Check Engine OFF and ON as you drive could be EGR system related, too.
I've seen a hiss come from those, with failing EGR valves, or bad DFPE sensors, or holes worn thru the EGR tube, or holes in the vac lines feeding those items. I've seen (and smelled) all four of those things. It's exhaust, but it can smell an awful lot like gas, because it is really burned up gas, gas fumes...

Back