Gateway to the Rubicon.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gateway to the Rubicon....

J

Ji

OK, so we aren't planning on doing the whole Rubicon(this time anyway). This trip is planned with stock Explorers in mind. We thought we'd start out in Georgetown and go by Uncle Tom's Cabin through to Ice House Road. Then up to Wentworth Springs Campground for Lunch. At that point, if some want to try the really tough stuff, we could split up. We thought we'd head back out to Ice House Road and try some other trails that would be suitable for stock Explorers.

July 17th has been suggested and it works for us! It should be a fun day!

Any comments/suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Ji (edited 06-29-1999).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Ji,
Do you know of any maps I could get my hands on of the terratory you are planning to take us on? Also where do you propose we all meet, and what time? The 17th of July is good for me. I know there are some other people on this board that are from around the Bay Area. I will hunt them up and spread the word.
Looking forward to wheeling with you all. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 06-29-1999).]

As long as you guys are planning on doing trails suitable for stock trucks, I am in! I have the stock tires and no lift, so hopefully you guys can bring me along.

The 17th is open for me, and hopefully my trusty co-pilot Kristi will join me for the day as well. It sounds like a lot of fun. If you could post directions as to where we're meeting, that would be great.

I have a friend that has a 4Runner, is he invited to join the group?

If you guy's have enough truck's going, usually everybody meets right in the middle of the street in George Town. We always form a straight line in the direction heading to the trail. The time of day that we do it is usually around 7:00 a.m. It also gives everyone a chance to check out each others rig. If you guy's are serious enough in doing the whole trail some time in the future, maybe one could be plan for next year around the month of August. The month of July is a pretty busy month up their for the Jeep Jamboree's. We usually go in August.

10am sounds good to me - so it's about 2.5 hours from San Francisco? That'll work! Let me know if it takes longer so I am not late!

Also, if you could post directions, that would be great. Thanks, and I look forward to the 17th to meet everyone and do some driving.

Oh, my friend with the 4Runner can't make it. Oh well! Dead Link Removed

Paul,

Ji said the same thing - right in the middle of the street, like the jeeps do. Ji also thought the courthouse in Auburn would work. Since we're not actually doing the Rubicon, just some fun drives, we thaught 10 would be OK and make it a little easier for those who are comming from out of town. It's fine with us if people want to start earlier.

Next August, hmmm, I don't think we can wait that long....

Thanks for your input, Paul, sounds like you've been doing this longer than we have. Any advice is appreciated.

Tami

Hi Garrett,
You can use this link to Map Quest to get driving directions from S.F. to Georgetown
http://www.mapquest.com/ . Dead Link Removed
The distance is @133.8 miles.

Tami,
Thank you for the info. I will try and pick up the map and perhaps the book this week. 10:00am sounds ok with me Dead Link Removed
I sent an email to Tyson, but due to previous arrangements (his Bachelor party), he won't be able to make it. also Skip Pendle is from Vallejo, but doesn't have
a email address. Hopefully he will read this and respond.
Skip this is an invitation to you. How about it? Would you like to come do some 4wheeling with us? Dead Link Removed
AaroninCA, Mac, Can you guys make it? Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 06-29-1999).]

If I can make it, I will be there. Unfortunately, due to my job, I won't know for sure until closer to that day. I am pretty sure that I will be there though.

That sounds great, I have to ask the Mrs. to see if she wants to come or if I can go up there to play.

Ray,

You can get a pretty good map from El Dorado National Forrest (916)644-6048. They sent me a free one a couple of years ago. Ask for the SMUD map of the Crystal Basin Recreation Area. I also bought Ji a book for Father's Day, 4Wheeler's Guide to the Rubicon Trail, available from Deer Valley Press http://4x4guide.isontheweb.com / or email firebook@el-dorado.ca.us. It's a cute book, but it's not as detailed as I had hoped.

Where to meet? We've only met one other person in Georgetown, so we just used the gas station, but if we get a good turnout, we'll have to figure out someplace else. I believe there is a public park, that should have parking spaces. I'll check it out on the 10th and let you know exactly where we can meet. You'll see, Georgetown isn't a very big town, it'd be hard to miss us wherever we were!

Does 10am work for everyone?

Garrett,

4runner? yuk! Just kidding, of course he's invited. And, stock should be just fine.

See you there,
Tami

[This message has been edited by Ji (edited 06-29-1999).]

Tami and Ji, if you could let us know where to meet, that would be great. Ray reminded me of Mapquest, so I have directions that lead me to the general area - if I stay on the 49 will I run into you guys? Let me know!

Ray - we should pick a channel on the CB to scan for each other since we'll probably be pretty close on the ride up there that morning.

I am looking forward to this trip!

Ji
I'll try to be up there on the 17th, I had plans to be up there on the 18th to run the hole trail, 18th, 19th, and maybe in to the 20th. But would like to meet some of the people on this board.
I'll be with a group of early Broncos from So. Cal. so would like to see some Explorers on the trail with us if any can stay for the fun.

Hi Thunderhorse,
You are more than welcome to ride with us, or just stop by and say hello, and chat for awhile. We will keep everyone posted as the time grows near. Seeing as that you are doing the whole trail, your Bronco must be quite a machine. I'd like to see it, for sure! Dead Link Removed

Garrett,
How about starting with Channel 17(trucker's channel)then switch to 20 once we all hook up? I like the truckers channel because I don't usually travel the speed limit and they will keep you informed on where the Bears(CHP and the like) are. Dead Link Removed
Oh! and I will send you a reminder about MapQuest later. I think if I time it right I might be able to hook up with you somewhere around Sacramento on I-80. I'm shooting for a 9:30 arrival into Georgetown. It should take me alittle over 2 hours to get to Sacramento. From Sac to Georgetown is about 1 hour. If I leave Los Banos by 6:00am, I can be in Sac by 8:00 or so, then be in Georgetown by 9:00, 9:30. It only takes you 1 to 1.5 hours to get to Sac, so if you leave an hour later then me, we should be able to hook up in Sacramento. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 06-30-1999).]

Garrett,
From I-80 trun right on 49 . Follow 49 to Cool. Turn left at Cool.

Paul,
August is fine with me . This year or next. Let's see what we can set up. Rubicon Anyone !!!

ThunderHorse,

I can be around all weekend .I would like to do the whole trail . Last sunday I took the Wentworth springs trail to Loon Lake . Without too much trouble, I made the loop. Saturday is filled, maybe I can meet up on sunday via the Tahoe side .

ALL ARE WELLCOME !!!

[This message has been edited by Ji (edited 07-01-1999).]

You guys are killin' me! I know that it is my own fault for not being able to make any of these weekends, but it seems that timing and fate are against me!

Anyway, I have to get back to the Midwest the weekend of the 17th to be a sponsor at the baptism of my brother's baby.

I hope there will be another cool trip in the Sierra's this summer! Have a great time!!

Ji, it would have to be next August because I am running the Los Coyote Run in Aug. That next week-end the group that I usually go with is doing the Rubicon. I passed this year because there are to many things happening to close together in my social calendar to make them all work plus run a business. Have fun!

Rubicon Aug '00 sounds like a good idea. I'm in for next summer. I wonder if magazines would look at us if a whole bunch of Explorers were to run the Rubicon?

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Pete T,
No problem ! ! Summer sun or winter snow - it's all good. Rubicon is on for Aug. "00"

Pual,
Aug. "00" is on .

EVERYONE KEEP AUG."00" OPEN .

Ray

I have a '92 Explorer ,not a Bronco, I will be running with a early Bronco club. But they say if it's 4x4 it's welcome.

Ji
I'll look for another Explorer on the trail. Our group is giong to start on sunday the 18th at Loon Lake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ji & Thunderhorse,
I would also like to stay for Sunday but I will have to wait to give you a final answer after Saturday to see how the truck and the funds are holding out, not to mention my nerves.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Plenty of Scabs on Hands

Back