Gator's Before and After | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gator's Before and After

Well I got bored last Saturday and decided that I would play with the truck a little. It started with an idea to do some mods, but very inexpensively. The following are pics along with my costs. Please give me feed back:cool:

BEFORE

P1210021.jpg

The first thing I did was decide that I'd like a little more lighting in the front. I did some work refinishing my brothers Jeep bumper, and he traded me an old light bar. The kicker is that I got the thing 10 years ago from another guy, and then gave to my brother when he turned 16.

P1200015.jpg

P1200014.jpg

Cost=1hr time and $7 for paint for the bumper

It came with some old Blazer lights that were not worth the work trying to salvage. It was pretty bent up and one of the brackets was broken. I had to heat up and re-bend the brackets and make a repair on the passenger bracket.
P1210017.jpg

I also made cheap and easy additional brackets for a little more wobble support
P1210019.jpg

All of this was free. I had the torch kit, rods and bracket material. I cut them, ground them semi smooth and bolted them up.

Next I bolted the thing to the bumper. I still need to repaint it, but my brother painted it last with rubber undecoating. I think I'll just bedliner it, but dont know if I'll have to strip it yet. Here it is on the truck without the lights
P1210023.jpg

I bought $15 a peice tractor lights to mount on the bar. All I need it for is a little more light when heading to the hunting camp, so I figured that they would work.
P1210024.jpg

I'm going to wire them through a floor dimmer switch, but that will be this weekend.

While I was messing with all of that, I figured it would be nice to be able to see my trailer in the pitch dark night of the camp. So I added $15 driving lights to the bumper wired to work with the reverse lights. Thanks MountaineerGreen for the wire diagram!
P1210025.jpg

The only other cost I had was a six pack for my helper, shown to the right. Gotta keep the Marines happy :salute:

I've got a spacer, shackle lift coming courtesy of Buckshotmudder that was around $70 total. After that will come 31's.

An new muffler is also coming this weekend thanks to the ditch I wound up in coming out of the greenfields. It ripped a hole in the muffler and left me wanting a lift to avoid any more damage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like a fun weekend. I like seeing stuff modified to fit on stock equipment...I really like seeing guys working on their trucks in the garage putting down some beers.

looks good.. i like the light bar

thank god for beer and Marines!!:salute:

Someone say Marines? Looks good.

i have the same one as above, original poster I like how yours has the bend the one I have doesn't follow the explorer body well, I plan to try and use a pipe bender to get it to were it follows the curves better.

Thanks guys! Richard let me know when you get time. We can do both lifts at the same time

wow! Just reviewed the thread before adding more pics. I didnt realize that we had a beer in nearly every pic! Im not sure what I think about that....

Bedliner on the tuppeware, lower door panels, bumpers, light bar and grill
P2180031.jpg

P2180033.jpg

P2180030.jpg

Front lights are operated by the floor switch. It wired like any other switch, just did a continuity check to make sure I was getting on and off like I needed to.
P2180032.jpg

I also Glasspacked (I apologize and will wait for my beating) but it was a cheap muffler. No pics of that as I am ashamed.

i have the same one as above, original poster I like how yours has the bend the one I have doesn't follow the explorer body well, I plan to try and use a pipe bender to get it to were it follows the curves better.

this dawned on me today while I was driving, mine follows the bumper line better because the 1st gens are squared in the front, unlike the rounded 2nds.

its dangerous to let me drive alone for 5 hours. I start creating new projects like putting in a bench instead of my buckets; turning my riding mower into a mini crawler; and now I really really need to bedline those cherokee wheels I have and put some 31's on them.:D

i like it! im diggin the front guard and lights...im thinking you should drill some holes in you bumper to mount the rear lights, that way you cant knock them off with something...but keep it up! cant wait to see what it looks like with the lift and 31's... get some 15x10" wheels on 31x10.50r15 itll give you a wider footprint and it looks badass.i wish i would of spent the extra cash to get the 15x10's and not 15x8's

rear lights are bolted in, and I've got 255/70/15's essentially a 10.50 foot print. Ive done the 31 10.50 on 15x10's before and didnt like the look. Thanks for the encouragement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back