Gauge needles not correct after cluster led swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauge needles not correct after cluster led swap

tekgarage

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Aright guys...i tried searching on this forum but couldn't find anything..

I was doing a gauge cluster led change..and am currently having problems with the needles. None of the needles read correctly....They are all off from the start point. For example the rpm needle sits at 2 when the ignition is off and then jump to 4 when the car starts...any ideas on how to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you gotta pull the needle off and reset it. i think the easiest way to do it is to hook up your cluster with the clear cover off adn the needles removed, turn the key to run but dont start the truck, then set all the needles to where they should be.

Did you take the needles off? Ive seen others have problems after doing that.
One guy had to actually drive with someone ahead of him at 50 mph and push the needle on at 50 so that it would be correct.

Not sure about rpms though...

Did you take the needles off? Ive seen others have problems after doing that.
One guy had to actually drive with someone ahead of him at 50 mph and push the needle on at 50 so that it would be correct.

Not sure about rpms though...

Beat me to it... follow inh's advice..

I don't have the same generation Explorer as yours, but when I swapped out needles on my cluster a few years back, I used my Scangauge to read the speed/tach internally and calibrated the needles (trial and error) to match. It's pretty much bang on now as confirmed by GPS (at least the speed).

All I can think is your needles got bumped when you were swapping out the bulbs.

Nice! Worked like a charm!

Back