Gauges dead. Everything else works. 2000 Explorer. Installed aftermarket radio yesterday. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauges dead. Everything else works. 2000 Explorer. Installed aftermarket radio yesterday.

John Chapman

Reaction score
City, State
Texas, but travel all over.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Gauges dead. Everything else works. 2000 Explorer. Installed aftermarket radio yesterday.
So, my truck has been sitting for a few weeks as I painted it. Yesterday, I installed an aftermarket radio - since this is electrical, I am including this info -just in case-.
Today, I started up the truck, and noticed my gauges were dead.
I took it for a test drive, and everything shifts great.
Lights work just fine.
Turn signals are fine.
Break lights are fine.
Odometer does not increment.
A/C works.
When door is open, "Door Ajar" message is not lit up.
Door DOES ding when open, and dome light comes on.
etc, etc.
I have unhooked battery for over 15 minutes. No change.
I've checked all the fuses to left of drivers side and also under hood on drivers side - both sides of fuses just to verify.
I paid special attention to 14, 18 and 25 (just reading these are likely candidates).
At the point the wiring harness plug connects to the OEM radio, I cut those wires. I downloaded a wiring diagram for the radio, and connected it to the aftermarket radio. Radio works fantastic. :)
So.
Any ideas on what to check?
Thank you, of course.

I'd pull the radio and make sure you didn't accidentally unplug anything.

Thanks Mbrooks. I actually hadn't finally mounted everything as I painted the bezel and waiting for it to dry.

Interestingly enough, withOUT me doing any purposeful actions, everything started working. I did open up the fuse box under the hood, and I went back to work painting some of the trim, etc. Then, I decided I wanted to listen to a podcast through the AUX input, and when I turned the key, all was working. For now..... will see how it goes.

If it returns, it's almost certainly a connection. Easy fix, at least.

Back