Gauges Die, Warning Lights On, Truck Runs Fine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauges Die, Warning Lights On, Truck Runs Fine

UnorthodoxCreat

Reaction score
City, State
outside Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6, 06 Limited V8
2006 Explorer Limited V8, totally stock except for 22" Edge Sport wheels and an aftermarket headunit, both of which have been on for 6+ months. About 125,000 miles.

In August while driving on the highway my speedometer, tachometer and temp gauge all quit working. At the same time I got warning lights for CEL, airbag, traction control, e brake, maybe more. During this time the vehicle runs and drives perfectly fine at highway speed to idle and anywhere in between. When I got a chance to come to a stop I shut the vehicle off. I think it took a couple tries but it restarted and drive home 4 more hours with no more issues. I checked for lose cables or wires and couldn't find any problems. I assumed a fluke issue and everything has been fine till tonight.

I was driving home from my sister's and after about 15 minutes I had the same syptoms. All gauges died except fuel gauge and all warning lights come on but vehicle still drives fine. I pulled into a parking lot and shut the vehicle off. This time it wouldn't restart easily. When I turn the key nothing happened. Doesn't even try to turn over. It was dark but I pulled on and tugged wires under the hood to no avail. after probably 10 tries it finally turned over and started right up. I drove about 5 minutes before symptoms returned. I confirmed driving home for an hour and again the truck drove home fine, just funky gauges. Once home it won't restart and I needed to get my daughter in bed .

Any ideas? My guess is alternator going bad and causing problems but I'm not sure. If I can get it to start tomorrow I can put a voltmeter on it but if it doesn't act up I'm not sure I'll be able to tell anything.

Back