• Register Today It's free!

Gear changing?

tylerwiseman1992

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Well i think its time the ex gets re-geared, I've been running 31's with 3.27s and its taking its toll. Now I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I have never had to change gears in anything. I read that this isn't a rookie job so i plan on taking it to a shop. (if i can find one in des moines, if anyone has any input that would be appreciated) what i need to know is what all i need. I have been looking at 4wheelparts.com and i think i know which gear ratio i want and i know i want to keep the dana 35 in the front and do the rear end upgrade at this time (1st to 2nd gen, for disk brakes) but i really dont know what i need to buy except the ring and pinion. So any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install kit with all bearings and a clutch pack if you plan to keep the LS.what ratio you planning and you plan to never go larger than 31??

Surprised your trans has held up with 3.27 lol I would suggest 4.10 if keeping the 31s.you may find a 2nd gen with 4.10 and not even need to rebuild it, just new clutch pack.

Do you have an Auto tranny or a Standard? I ran 3.27's forever with my 31's and never had an issue. But I had a 5-speed.

I only switched to 3.73's because I was installing lockers and the previous owner ran the front diff dry so it was pretty toasted when I got it. 3.73 where what was available and I got a decent deal.

Do you have an Auto tranny or a Standard? I ran 3.27's forever with my 31's and never had an issue. But I had a 5-speed.

I only switched to 3.73's because I was installing lockers and the previous owner ran the front diff dry so it was pretty toasted when I got it. 3.73 where what was available and I got a decent deal.

Me or OP?? Doesnt matter a 3.27 is a dog gear and especially when you add bigger tires.stresses the trans and motor.I had 3.27,5 speed,2wd and 26" and was a DOGGGGG.couldnt stand it, barely could get out of its own way.if I was doing and spending money on gear swap I would do atleast 4.10DD-4.56offroad mostly for 31,remember 4.10 came stock for 28" tires.

My 3.27s worked great with my 31's. 5th hear at about 1900 would cruise at about 70. Never had an issue. I had tons of power. maybe cause i got a 2 door? lighter?

My 3.27s worked great with my 31's. 5th hear at about 1900 would cruise at about 70. Never had an issue. I had tons of power. maybe cause i got a 2 door? lighter?

Sure it would cruise nice at 70 but max speed around here is 55 and even 1900 is outa the power band plus getting to 70 is where it stains the motor and trans..drive doing 55 and see what the rpms are in 5 th gear, you would be down shifting every 5mins..so are you saying you prefer your 3.27 gears over the 3.73?? Because that would be a first time I heard anyone say that, especially with larger tires:crazy:

5 gear should be around 2300ish @ 70 to be close to the power band unless you live and drive 99% on long flat highways

Its a 5 speed and its been holding up pretty well, i just notice that is is straining for power and i can tell its taking its toll on my clutch. and im considering keeping 31s as it is my dd. also mine is a 2 door 5 speed and it gets up and gos but you really have to put it down and i am trying to get away from doing that.

Not to jack my own post haha. but another question i had if you guys knew, i have the M5OD and I like having a 5 speed but im sure it will die one day. I was considering getting a remanned tranny at that time and im thinking about going with the A4LD with the upgrades and getting an aftermarket cooler and guages to make sure its keeping cool. the main reason is that i have moved to the city and a billon red lights can make you start to hate a 5 speed xD would that be worth it? and would it be much harder than installing the new one (changed trannys on these a few times) and connect it to an aftermarket floor shifter? or would i have to replace the steering column? and then removing the clutch pedal? anything extra really?

I think it would be cheaper to by another Sport that already has an automatic.

Standard trans for off road. One toy.

Auto for DD. One city horse.

Don't fear the gear.

I had 4.56 gears with 30" tires. Maybe a little too much gear for that, but with the 33s now, it's perfect.

I'd go at least 4.10.

The gears don't really need to be set up in the vehicle. You're already getting a 2nd gen 8.8. Pull the gears and swap them in and take it to a shop to have the backlash set. For the front, I'm not familiar enough with how that axle works and how to it out. But the point is taking in just the axles will save a bunch. But you'll need a second vehicle for a day or 2.

so are you saying you prefer your 3.27 gears over the 3.73?? Because that would be a first time I heard anyone say that, especially with larger tires
If i put alot of freeway miles on it still then yes. but that is not what I use it for anymore. I still DD it but no more freeway trips.

what I was saying is that I had no issues when it was 3.27 with 31's. I run 33's now. I could not imagine the lack of power I would have now with 3.27s

Back