gear code. where? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gear code. where?

smurfxlt

Reaction score
ok so heres the story, i have a 99 xlt 5.0 with the sport package, and my friend has a 98 xlt 5.0 with a custom dual exhaust and a cold air intake, i beat him in a race (a couple times) and we were both wondering how this happened because he should have won with his exhaust and CAI. the only thing we could think of was that i had 4.10s in mine because i have the sport package, but i checked the door sticker and it says i have 3.73s. i told him that and he said maybe its just wrong and told me to check the tags on the diff cover. i checked the tags and i didnt see anything that looked like it had something to do with gears. so how could i figure this out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well then what would explain me winning? we raced like 3 or 4 times and everytime we would be pretty even in the lower gears but once we got into the higher gears id start pullin on him. the only thing done to mine is 2 of the cats have been taken out and that really doesnt even make a difference...

alot of things can contribute to you winning.. condition of the motor, condition of the transmission, tire size, his 'CAI' which with most brands actually pulls more hot air through the motor, exhaust size, backpressure reduction, etc..

but yeah.. removing the cats doesnt do much except sound slightly better

well his motor is without a doubt in better condition than mine. probably the same with his trans. my whole truck is tired haha.

oh yea and my tires are bigger too... but really i just want to know what kind of gears i have because im curious. i looked at the tags again and i dont see anything like 3 L 7 3 so im puzzled

Back