• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Gear Oil Leak from Rear Differential

pcsullivan91

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
good afternoon gentleman. Had to change my fuel pump this weekend and noticed a bad oil leak. It's definitely my rear gear oil in the rearend b/c i changed it like a month or two ago and it still looks clean.
My question to you though, the way its leaking it looks like I did a good job sealing up the rear plate and the leak seems to be coming from where the reaer end meets the drive shaft??
Here's a picture
1117101321.jpg
[/URL]

It's dry around the cover but looks like it is driping down from the driveshaft?

Did my new fluid screw up a seal? is there a seal there?

thanks

Sorry about gigantic picture.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
Yep, looks like a pinion seal leak to me. Your oil may have been low enough/dirty enough to not leak out much before you changed it.

Pinionsealleak.jpg

This is one you may want to have done by a repair shop due to special tools and procedures.

pcsullivan91

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
dang that sucks. Ya i didn't overfill it. just to the bottom of the fill whole. Thats stupid it will start leaking with new fluid i would have left the old crap in... Thanks though guys.

So this isn't a do it yourselfer? thats a bummer i'm a cheap ass.

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sports Trac
I had the same problem a few months ago, and Ncranchero is right, its probably the pinion seal

I tried to do it myself, but ended up having to give it to a shop to take care of it for me because i couldn't even get the first bolts off