gear ratio on Front Diff 96 AWD 5.0Ltd Ed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gear ratio on Front Diff 96 AWD 5.0Ltd Ed?

YoLev69

Reaction score
City, State
Isleton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 AWD Special Edition
I am looking at replacing/eliminating the front differential. It is roaring and blowing hot oil out the breather tube. The dismantler's want the gear ratio. The tag # on the rear Diff is (top line) 9621a r, (bottom line) 3l 73886c18. I looked on the door to try and find more information and came up with (very bottom line) under axle D4. can anyone help. Is there a way to eliminate the front diff without cutting anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the front drive shaft, disassemble the left and right half shafts at the cv joints. You have to leave the ends of the half shafts in the hubs to keep the bearings together when driving. If you search through the forum you will find write-ups.

Thanks for the reply. I spent the last couple of hours reading and realizing that I need to take it in to the local shop and stick with my day job. Thank

3.73 gears.

Again, Thank you very much. I hope the next time I can be of some help. Does anyone have a poker or Blackjack question?

Back