• Register Today It's free!

Gear ratio question

Tripod2

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
So, I was wondering how streetable a 91 X would be if it was geared with 4:88s. Spool in the front, locker in the rear. Full width axle from a 79 bronco, hp 44 in front. I know its more off road set up, but wanting to street it too. (I'm thinking about buying this X fyi) Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to know what size tires ;)

well what size tires are you running? i have been looking into regearing, but i have read that 4.56 on 33" tires is too large for street use. but 37's might be ok. i am looking at 4.11 to 4.56

Its on 33s right now. But will probably put some 35s on it

I have 32s with 4.56. It's a little too deep. I think 35s with 4.56 would be perfect. But at least i ahve room to grow.

So do you think 35's on 4:88s would be alright as a decent daily driver?

So do you think 35's on 4:88s would be alright as a decent daily driver?

Yes. I have 4.56 on my 91 X with 33s. This is a good comprimise for street and trail. Good power, low crawl ratio, not to good on gas, and runs slightly higher RPMs than stock gears and tires (3.73 and 30").

4.88 ratio for 35s would be about the same.

i am running 4.88 on 33s and it is my DD. I try not to go above 65 on the highway otherwise it's scary. Overall though, I'm very happy, on the street and trail.

With the 33's the diff gears don't whine too much? I think 35s or 37s would let you run a littler faster... but idk. lol thats why I'm asking.

i've put about a year/20k miles on them so far and no problems at all.

I loved my 4.88 and 33 setup and mine was a dd also.i run 36 now with 4.88 and wish i went bigger.4.88 and 33 is perfect for the heavy x,that's is if you don't travel alot on freeway?diffence of about 500ish rpm 4.56 to 4.88

Gears set up propely will not whine. Imagine the gear ratio as a long breaker bar. The higher the gear, numerically, the longr the breaker bar. Disadvantage is higher engine RPMs.

Spool in the front is less streetable. If you have manual locking hubs you can live with it. But a locked front end is hard to turn and may cause additional front end breakage. A selectable locker is much better.

One word AUSSIE! !!

Ya it will see freeway time for sure cause I'm going to use it to tow my boat, go camping and what not. The front are manual locking hubs so thats a positive.

Then with 35=4.88 &33=4.56

Sick thanks for the help.

i have the 4.0 ohv and i have 4.56 turnin 35s. i think its perfect. from memory of the original setup (which was pretty tourquey and quick) it seems to feel very similar. i have limited hp producing mods and i love the 4.56 and 35s. i consistently get around 15mpg as an average. bottom line is 4.56s r comfortable. the closest to stock numbers-wise ive been told is 4.88. side note: my OD doesnt necsarily engage correctly but that could be a seperate issue. o and i have an a4ld

35's and 4.88's here. Turns about 2200 rpm at 60mph. Decent (for an explorer) mileage too... about 17.9 hiway.

Oh... I have a 94 explorer with an A4LD... if that helps.

I'm 4.88's and 35's. It's good enough for running down the highway. Same story as the last post...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for highway i wish i had 4.88s but 4.56 r awesome around town and trail.

Back