• Register Today It's free!

Gear Selection problem

JDGREEN8513

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson, SC...TigerTown
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport XLT
This morning I went to put my automatic tranny into gear and the gear selection locked up for some reason. I tried it again and it popped. Now the gear selector is shifted over one. Park is on reverse and so on. I have no idea whats going on...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there something wrong with the gear that is selected, or just the PRNDL indicator?? If you go 3 notches down from park, does that trans. shift into drive??

Yeah the Transmission goes into Drive its just the indicator is on the 2 when I put it in drive. Everything got shifted down somehow.

The plastic bracket that attaches the PRNDL indicator cable to the steering column is probably broken.

alright. thanks

Another place you can check is the cable right at the trans there is an adjuster.

Mine did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, A mechanic friend did a fix with some cable ties, It seems to work ok but will see for ow long

I was reading the problem you had with the shift indicator, I am having the same issue. The one on my 1995 explorer is now stuck to the far right. All the gears engaged fine, you just do not know , from the dash, what gear you are in. Is it easy to fix ?? Thanks

Back