Gear Shift Knob: 98 Explorer Sport 5-Speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Knob: 98 Explorer Sport 5-Speed

KentuckyExSport

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport 5spd
How is the gear shift knob attached? Is it just pushed on or is there an expansion fitting and bolt under shift pattern cap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Push on. Good luck getting it off lol

Maybe look on the ranger forums for tips? Way more rangers with a stick than explorers

It is just pushed on with a friction fit, although some get glued after years of use to keep them from popping off when shifting.

Any Joy? I have one still on its shaft in the oven right now at 275 degree's. I still havn't been able to get it off.

Yes, just a friction fit. I didn't think it would ever come off. Then I loaned my truck to someone for 15 minutes. After that, I couldn't shift into 2nd without the knob coming off in my hand. (Don't want to know what he did.) Now mine is held on with a roll pin. Of course, you don't need to get it off unless you are changing the boot, or just want a different knob.

Heat finally did the trick. The shaft was already off with the knob. I went 275 degrees. I think 250 for about 45 min would have been fine.

Back