Gear Stick stuck in P

ExplorerDubai

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1996 Eddie Bauer
Gear stick not operating at times

Hi dear friends, I just joined the forum!!. Calling from Dubai (+45 deg C over here today).

One question: my Explorer 2006 Eddie Bauer is presenting this issue: sometimes the gear stick won't move out of the P position even though brake has been applied. I can feel and hear that the actuator (solenoide?) that allows the locking mechanism to be freed, works only when he wants. What can be the cause?.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,

My Eddie Bauer 2006 is presenting this fault sometimes: even if the break pedal is fully depressed, the gear stick won't move. I have to try and after a few attempts it moves down to the next gear position. What can be the problem? I can hear that the solenoide doesn't make a "click" noise.

Thanks!!

On the occasions when it doesn't "click", are the brake lights coming on? If not, the brake switch is intermittent. If so, check that power is getting to the solenoid. If so, the solenoid is intermittent. If not, there's probably a bad connection between the solenoid and brake shift interlock actuator. I have about 4 pages of pinpoint tests to post if you're in need of them.

Oh, and keep your hand off the chrome button on top of the shifter before you hear the "click".

The shift interlock actuator is a known problem for that year and I believe that there is a TSB out for it (I had to have mine replaced 2 times before Ford switched manufacturers and fixed the problem). Essentially, the complete shifter assembly has to be replaced with a new one because of the way that it is assembled (no way to just replace the part that breaks inside it). However, Ornery is right it could be as simple as an adjustment of the brake switch but with it being an 06 I am leaning very heavily toward needing to replace the shifter assembly.

Also see the thread on Fixed my Sticky Shifter Problem on 7-10-2013.

Thanks guys for your comments (and thanks Turdle for merging both). First: brake lights are working so the problem is not the pedal switch. Before heading to the dealer, I will have access to the module/solenoide and will clean/check connections to see if it works!

Heading to the dealer!
home_alone.jpg

Before you do anything rash, check the voltage getting to the solenoid. If you don't have a VOM, get one! If it's consistently getting voltage, but solenoid isn't moving, that's the culprit. About $30.00. If it's not getting consistent voltage, problem is upstream, and could be corroded connections, etc. In that case, you could just tape the block in the forward position "temporarily".

I see.... I took the console out, checked connections and they all seem to be fine and despite of a few attempts, it worked perfectly!! I'll keep monitoring.
Thanks

Well, the actuator is out of stock and has been ordered (for about 40 dollas) so I replaced the printed circuit just in case it was the one to blame, but the same problem occurred, so now I'll have to wait until the other part arrives....

Wish i could have taken my explorer to Afghanistan.

Wish I could take myself to explore Dubai!

250px-Dubaicollage.jpg

haha Ornery, you know where your next destination will be!!! This is the city of wonders....

Going back to the topic, I replaced the printed circuit and no changes... the problem persisted, so next to be done was to replace the actuator which I did (it cost the corresponding to 30 dollars) and finally it is working great!!

Back