FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Hey gang,
Next week I will start the swap of my 3.27's to 3.73's with L/S. I am going to rebuild the L/S tight so as to limit slipping (that's the point, right?) Anyhow - this is the first shot at gears, but hey - live on the edge. Any advice, comments, questions, ideas and so on would be appreciated. I will be sure to document and take pictures as well...

Jon M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what you're getting into?

I myself have never done a gear swap either so I have no experience. I do know that a lot of stuff is involved that the average shade tree mechanic cannot do. (the reason I have not swapped to 3.73's) I believe you have to have a press to put shims on the pinion to set the pinion depth. Or something along those lines anyways. Also you have to set the backlash between the pinion and ring gear. I was told that you have to let a shop do both of those things.

My advise is that if you have ANY doubts let a shop that knows what they're doing do it for you. If you KNOW what you're doing and are brave enough then I say good luck.

Thanks for the concern...
As far as tools go, I have most of them - the rest can be rented from Discount Auto Parts for a deposit. There are detailed instructions in many places on how to do this. If I run into a snag I just call the tow truck and send it to my mechanic :D

Jon M

Good luck!
Let us know how it go's.I've been thinking about trying the same thing.I want to go with 4:56 gears soon.

Jason,
What gears do you have now? And how does the truck perform with 5.5" + 3" b/l? The 5.5" is the next big project - probably summertime though...

Jon M

The gear I have are the stock 3:73 gears.It's really not that bad with the 33's.I plan on getting bigger tires soon.With more rubber the 3:73 just will not do.It seem like I change my mind every day on what I want.

Jason,
Yeah - I change my mind daily too. The 3.37's are concrete, but I wanted to build a 4.0 from the block up - real powerful... After figuring out I would need a new tranny, transfer case and front axle my mechanic convinced me to keep my eyes out for an F150 and take the motor, tranny and transfer case right from it. More power and cheaper. Anyhow - The gears will be in within a couple of weeks. Maybe we can finally get together on some of the trails down here!

Jon M

That sounds good to me.When you do the gear swap take lots of pics.Let us know what kind of problems you run in too.Hope it go's well.

Originally posted by JYoung

That sounds good to me.When you do the gear swap take lots of pics.Let us know what kind of problems you run in too.Hope it go's well.

I will - and I am anticipating problems (as I am sure everyone else is :D)

I should start tearing things down next week. I will be posting weekly updates on my site too. Catch you a bit later!

Jon

Back