• Register Today It's free!

Gear swap

4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Right now I'm running 31's with 3.27 gears. I'd like to do a gear swap in the near future, but I'm undecided if I should got with 3.73's or 4.10's. What rpm are you guys turning at 60 with 31's and 3.73 or 4.10's? With my 3.27's I'm at about 1600 at 60.

I also would like some sort of locking diff front and rear. I'm thinkin limited slip rear and locking front. Any manufacturer's that stand out as the best besides ARB for these? Also, if I put a locker in the front, and I lock the hubs but leave it in 2x4, will it change the how the truck drives? Or won't I notice its there?

Thanks much!!

------------------
1994 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 5spd
Mods: K&N, 63mm T-body, Superchip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 1992 Explorer 4 door XLT that came stock with 3.27 gears with 31" tires. We changed the 3.27 to 4.10 with a Detroit in the rear. The gears alone was around $1300 installed. The detroit was another $525 for the 8.8" rear. He did not charge extra for installing the locker since he already had to put in the gears. We really like the acceleration we got from the gear swap. At 85MPH we are turning 3000 rpms in overdrive with lockup. One problem you will most likely run into is your speedo will be about 20% off. I have a 20 tooth gear for the driven gear and I can't get any larger one. This means I need a ratio adapter and they need to be custom made. They have to modify your existing speedo cable and connect it to a ratio adapter and then make a cable from the ratio adapter to the xfer case. Other than the 20% off we love the 4.10's. We are going to 32" tires later and the 4.10's shoudl be enough for that also.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

I'm assuming by your user name you have a ranger and not an explorer, if thats true this should be pretty close to what you're looking for.

I had OEM 3.55 gearing and switched to 4.10 gears in my ranger. I happy with the results. Currently I'm running 31's (33's are in the garage) and it turns about 2000 - 2100 at 60. I get about 20 MPG on the highway with it set up this way if I keep it under 70. The Guys with the explorers generally run 4.56 gears but they are about 1000 LBS heavier than a ranger.

I have lockers in both diffs and it suits me fine but I have run several trucks set up that way for years. Its definately something that takes some getting used to. If you have a locker in the front, lock the hubs, and leave it in 2x4 its not real noticeable unless you're stopping on snow or ice or turning real sharp. In these conditions the front end tends to make some snapping and popping noises as the tires slip and slide at different rates. This won't apply to an ARB because they function as a spool when they are locked.

I see you live not to far north of Madison, I'm about 1.5 hrs southwest of Madison, so if you're really interested you could come down some weekend and drive the truck and see what you think. It's an open invitation.

------------------

Kampy

kampy@internetni.com

Wow Maniak thats some serious cash!! I take it you have an automatic tranny in your Explorer. I wonder if there is any difference of highway rpm's between trannys. Even if there is its probably not very much. How do you like the detroit? Does it make any noise?

Kampy - Sounds like you have a nice ranger what are its specs? You can see mine here if your so inclinded. http://rangerpowersports.com/gallery/offroad/adam_hooper/
Also thats a tempting offer you have givin me...thanks!! The only thing is I'm in Houghton Michigan now at school so its a lil farther away!! Those rpm's you posted sound very livable. Those few hundred rpm's really help out. Thanks!!

------------------
1994 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 5spd
Mods: K&N, 63mm T-body, Superchip

Yea.. it was a little money.. especially since it was 1 month after we rebuilt the tranny ($1300 for that..) at Doug's Tranmission. I even got the welded planitaries(sp?) and a tranny cooler installed (real install.. not zip tied in). If I remember correctly the OD on the manual and the OD on the automatic are the same ratio (with the lockup engaged). That means the RPMs should be the same between the two. When we had the 3.27's our explorer couldn't get out of its own way. With the 4.10's it is not exactly peppy but I can step on the gas and at least get out of the way of things . Our mileage also went from 12 to almost 15 in town by changing the gears. Our highway mileage didn't change much.. but we now drive no faster than 85ish on the freeway.. before she had the speedo reading "overdrive" (and it was reading 2% low then). We love the Detroit but you do know its there. The Explorer may be heavy but my lockright in the Van is almost invisible since it is so much heavier and longer. Somewhere on here I wrote a message with my observations on the locker.

I don't hear the locker but I do feel it.
There is driveline slack now.. there can be up to 30% rotation before every catches up (and still be considered normal). It feels like an open diff would feel with a loose u-joint.
If you get on/off the throttle in a turn you will switch between over and understeer.
oh yea.. if you make a u-turn and stomp on the gas (with 1/4 tank of gas) when the back end breaks loose, get off the gas or you will keep spinning... In other words.. if you on the gas.. the locker is engaged... This makes for interesting driving in mud or other slick stuff. If your on the gas you don't turn until you take your foot off the gas (4 wheel drive takes care of most of this)

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Back