Gear Swapping

mdlrvenom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boonton, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
What is the average price of swapping the gears in a '92 x. both done in a shop or done personnally...
also what do people feel about whether i should attempt swapping the gears myself... i am a fairly good gear head with a good amount of tools.. however i have never done a gear swap before..
thanks for info
ps - what gears should i go with running 33X12.5X15...
trucks engine is stock except for... dynomax aftercat, k/n airfilter, warn manual locking hubs...
anthony:banghead: :exp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 33s I think you'd have to decide between 4.10s and 4.56s. IMO it depends on how much you go on the highway; if you drive above 70 mph often I'd go with 4.10s. However, if you're thinking about bigger tires in the future 4.56 would be the way to go.

Cost per axle for labor is usually between $200 and 350. If you have all the necessary tools then you could try it yourself, but I'd at least watch someone else do a gear swap before you attempt it. IMO if the truck is a daily driver a gear swap is better left to the professionals.

and the gears... how much are they... any online stores?

New gears are usually about $180-200 a set. You'll also need rebuild kits. I recently got mine from Randy's Ring and Pinion. You can ask them for a discount for being a member of this site. Parts for my rearend were recently $430 shipped from them, including a new rear stud girdle diff cover but not including gear lube.

thanx for the info alec

Back