Gear/Tire Difference on Window Stickers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear/Tire Difference on Window Stickers

VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Does anybody know why this window sticker for a 2012 ecoboost Ex has the tire info and gear ratio listed:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK7F93CGA01534&refid=FV

and this one does not:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK7F9XCGA04477&refid=FV

I checked five or six other window stickers for ecoboost equipped vehicles and none of those included the tire and axle ratio info.

I recall that the technical info PDF on the media.ford.com site has three different ratios listed.

Do you have a choice of axel ratios with the 2012 ecoboost? It would seem odd, but I was curious. Any of you out there who ordered a 2012 ecoboost, were you given a choice?

Happy driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anybody know why this window sticker for a 2012 ecoboost Ex has the tire info and gear ratio listed:
Happy driving.
I don't have the answer you are looking for but I do see something strange on the first sticker. The tire is shown as a 245/50R20. Normal size for this model is 255/50R20. I wonder if it is a special order? :scratch:

Open ended / non-descriptive thread title ("Does anybody know why...")- changed .

Open ended / non-descriptive thread title ("Does anybody know why...")- changed .

Whoops, sorry about that. It was slightly vague, wasn't it! :scratch:

I don't have the answer you are looking for but I do see something strange on the first sticker. The tire is shown as a 245/50R20. Normal size for this model is 255/50R20. I wonder if it is a special order? :scratch:

I did read somewhere, maybe on here, that said a narrower (possibly reduced rolling resistance) tires were going to be outfitted to the ecoboost in an effort to increase mileage. Questions posed by this moved involved the possibility of decreased handling and braking performance.

So I am still left wondering if those tires were to be standard, why would it be that only that one window sticker of those I viewed call out the tire size?

Hmm........

Referring back to the 2012 Ex Order Guide, I see that the 3.51 axle ratio and the 245 tires are part of Equipment Group 303A on the Limited.

I was thinking that the ones that didn't have the axle ratio listed were models without the 303A package. Wrong. Both of those window stickers list the 303A package. So I still have no idea what the deal is.

Were the other stickers you looked at also built after the one that included the ratios? Maybe they chose to include the ratios on the window stickers at the beginning of the builds and decided to remove it later on?

All 303A packages should have the same gear ratios and tires, even if it's not listed on the window sticker. I know the initial 2012 order guide mentioned a pirelli option with the 303A package, but it was removed before production. I'm not sure which tire brand they are using for the Ecoboost models, but it is slightly narrower as peterk9 mentioned earlier.

How do you tell when it was built? Are the last 4 or 5 digits a sequential build number?

If it is, I found one #1538 that did not list it. All of the others were either 4xxx or 8xxx, and none of them had it listed.

Maybe you are right Texas_Ex, that would be a reasonable assumption and would seem to fit what I have found.

Did all the vehicles you check that did not list gear and axle ratio have the optional 20" wheels whether polished or LTD 20s?

I am guessing all LTDs come with 20s... So if you get the Ecoboost in LTD it comes with the 245s no charge and the sticker just states it. If you get the optional 20s on the LTD with Ecoboost, the gear ratio is the same but just doesn't say it.

The other gear ratios I am guessing depend if you get the other models in 17" or 18" wheels.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK7F93CGA01534&refid=FV

and this one does not:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK7F9XCGA04477&refid=FV

I checked five or six other window stickers for ecoboost equipped vehicles and none of those included the tire and axle ratio info.

I recall that the technical info PDF on the media.ford.com site has three different ratios listed.

Do you have a choice of axel ratios with the 2012 ecoboost? It would seem odd, but I was curious. Any of you out there who ordered a 2012 ecoboost, were you given a choice?

Happy driving.

Did all the vehicles you check that did not list gear and axle ratio have the optional 20" wheels whether polished or LTD 20s?

I am guessing all LTDs come with 20s... So if you get the Ecoboost in LTD it comes with the 245s no charge and the sticker just states it. If you get the optional 20s on the LTD with Ecoboost, the gear ratio is the same but just doesn't say it.

The other gear ratios I am guessing depend if you get the other models in 17" or 18" wheels.

In my quick check of the window stickers that I could get to load (none of the XLT ones would), your hypothesis seems correct. Of the stickers that would load, all of them had the polished 20" wheel option. The one with the axle ratio listed did not.

By jove, I think you figured it out! Cool :thumbsup:

On the Ford Canada website if you build a 2012 Ecoboost Limited FWD, it states that the following options will be automatically selected; 6 Speed Automatic w/Ecoboost, 3.36 axle ratio and Engine Oil Cooler. No change is indicated as far as the 255/50R20 tires and the 245/50R20 do not seem to be an option.

On the Ford Canada website if you build a 2012 Ecoboost Limited FWD, it states that the following options will be automatically selected; 6 Speed Automatic w/Ecoboost, 3.36 axle ratio and Engine Oil Cooler. No change is indicated as far as the 255/50R20 tires and the 245/50R20 do not seem to be an option.

And the plot thickens.....

That only leaves the 3.59 axle ratio listed in tech spec PDF unaccounted for. Any ideas on that one? Different wheel sizes maybe (17/18") on the other trim lines??

Back