• Register Today It's free!

Gearbox change

peter freeman

Reaction score
City, State
essex
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
Hi going to change auto box lost reverse.just need to know on removing gearbox do I have to undo torque convertor,not planning to change this.Can I leave it bolted on flexplate .
Does any one have any hints that will make this a bit easier thanks peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off are you sure the reverse is the box and not the transfer case?

Secondly YES you have to unbolt the torque converter and remove it with the box. The reason for this is that it has to be seated properly on the shaft which requires a twist to do so. If it is not seated properly when you come to fit the tranny you can push it against the pump in the box and damage it.

I found a 14mm flexi head ratchet spanner the best way to get to the top bolts for the tranny thro the wheel arches.
To get to the TC nuts I used a deep 14mm socket (after removing starter) and then extension bars tho to the front of the engine bay. That way I could have a breaker bar with a 19mm socket to turn the engine and look down to see the nut lined up then use the ratchet to undo the tc nut without having to move around. The cooler lines coming out of the drivers side of the tranny were an imperial size I think.
IIRC the drive shaft bolts need a 12 point 12mm socket.
Ratchet straps are useful for lowering and lifting the box if you don't have a tranny jack and vehicle lift. These trannys are big heavy buggers esp with the transfer box on the end.

Hi Jan no I'm not sure what's the best way to check

when I remove the trans, I take the t-case off, it makes it easier to maneuver

Si

Hi Jan no I'm not sure what's the best way to check

Not entirely sure but a search of lost reverse will throw up plenty of threads to read.
If it was me I would find out which of the two bands is reverse and see if a re torque of that has any effect. Once you know which one it is its a 10 min job to do. If you have no resistance on the band adjustment nut then the band has snapped or worn out. If you can torque it to spec and still don't get reverse then I would spend an afternoon dropping the valve body to check the gaskets on the separator plate. The gaskets are only £5 each from a dealers.

Of course you have checked you have the correct amount of tranny fluid in there with the engine warm and running????

Have taken pan off and felt with a screwdriver in to revere band spring and it's shot.
Have got a donor car with working gearbox so time to change gearbox. Do I need gaskets where transfer case meets gearbox and transmission meets engine.many thanks peter

I just used black silicone gasket maker if you can't find a gasket, it's messy, but it works...

Si

Back