gem (generic electronic module)

generation2

Reaction score
City, State
new orleans, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 4cyl 2wd 4.0 L
96 explorer xlt 4dr

my windows among all things controlled by gem were not working.

I traced wiring diagram for windows. everything checked out til interior fuse 27 which is fed by batter saver relay(bench test good) the relay has power and the relay switch is closed by the gem. the gem has voltage to it and is grounded.

if i unplug all ports to gem and replug, sometimes things works normal for a few minutes but then go haywire again shortly.

if i replace gem with a similar one from ebay, do i still need to take it to the dealer for programming? approx. how much will a dealer charge to do this or will they even work on a part not purchased from them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The '96 ones are plug and play. Just get the same model.

No PATS should be plug and play as long as it's from an XLT like Sonic said.

found this at autopartcheaper.com for anyone interested in gem numbers

Here is what a GEM Module part number looks like, this is an Example of a common GEM part number directly off of white part number label on a GEM module.

F81B-14B205-EL

Middle Portion (14B205)
Let’s start with the middle portion of the part number. The middle portion of the part number is 14B205. This will always be the same and never changes. 14B205 is the Ford Base number which translates to GEM module.

First Portion (F81B)

Now let’s look at the first portion of the part number. It most commonly starts with F, 3, 1, or X, This simply says where the part was engineered. In this case the first letter is an ‘F’ which means the part was designed by Ford Engineers.

The Second Letter is an “8” which means it was designed (not produced) in 1998.

The Number “1” and the Letter “B” have no significant meaning to anyone but Ford.

Last (and most important) Portion.

The last two letter are the most significant. They determine the options of the truck that are made onto the GEM circuit board.

In this case the last two letters are EL. The “E” Means the truck has Keyless Entry, the “L” Is the revision code. This is the Engineering Revision, Not the Production revision. If the letter in this example had been “D” that means the truck did not come equipped with keyless entry.

Ford uses 2 different part numbers for every part they produce. They use and engineering number, and a service number. The engineering part number is the part number on the white sticker on your old GEM module. The Service part number is the part number that Ford assigns to the new part that the dealership and we sell.

Ready to buy your new Genuine Ford GEM Module? Visit http://autopartscheaper.ecomm-search.com/search?Search=gem+module for the most recent info.

So how does this engineering part number translate to the service number?

So In our example part number above we know that Our Module was:

Engineered by ford (not by a third party).
Was engineered in 1998
Is a GEM module (14B205)
Has Keyless Entry
Has A Engineering Revision Code of L

The letter “B” or “T” At the end of F81B will always change to the letter “Z” on the service part number. So the Engineering Number of F81B Changes to F81Z.

So now our part number has translated to:

F81Z

So the Next portion always stays the same at 14B205, So Now our part number is

F81Z-14B205-

The last part is the most important ant the most confusing part of the number. We know that in this example that the “E” means keyless entry. But what does the “L” Mean? The “L” is the engineering revision code which means that it was revised 12 times before production. This however has no bearing on the Service part number.

The first letter (in this case the “E” usually, but not always stays the same.

So now our part number is

F81Z-14B205-E

We are still missing the last letter. The last letter is the service part number revision code. You will not know this number. Since we have all the numbers cataloged here at autopartscheaper.com I can tell you is an “E” as well, but there is now way to know this number without using cataloging software.

Well... bite the bullet.
They might have extra functions that will not be used in your truck.

i just replaced the old gem F571B-14B205-BG with a new gem F67B-14B205-BA and so far it is working as shadowless and sonic stated:plug and play.

the new gem as seen by first number 6 is from a 1996 model. it replaced my 1995 gem and still works fine so far.

i was talking with a Fords parts sales and he felt it was most important to match the last B. But he says that the last digit can be interchanged, so a BF or BA is interchangeable with a BG.

thanks all on this site for all your input. you saved me countless time and money with your input and it is greatly appreciated

Back