GEM Module Replacement - Please Read | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM Module Replacement - Please Read

Blue Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
I know many many people have had their GEM module replaced on the site. I went and called Ford headquarters a couple weeks ago and complained, and they have just five other complaints on file!! Everyone needs to take some time out of their day and go call Ford and moan and complain. There should be a extended warranty on these GEM modules because many people have had them replaced. I'm sure if lots of people started complaining we would end up getting a recall, or at least some reimbursement. For a part that's 400 bucks, that would be nice to have that extra bit of cash in your pocket. Thanks for listening to me rant. Call em at 1-800-392-3673. Thanks for listening to me rant and rave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to help me out... what is the GEM module?

it's this thing that controls everything electronic. power windows, locks, lights, windshieldwipers, etc etc. my windows and locks went out and when i was driving back on the highway at night my lights went out and if i didn't have my piaa fog lights installed i would have been up a creek. so if anything starts going funky with your electrical system it's probably the gem module.

o ok. well no problems yet.

Just this past spring the computer went in my 96. ECC-V since it is a V8. I had a jet chip attached to it so they blamed it on the chip. I bit my tongue and didn't respond. That chip had been on there over a year without a problem. I sent the chip back to jet to have it checked out. They said it was fine but sent me the new design they had come out with anyway. Jet rocks.

i thought jet wasnt supposed to void any warrantys. it says so on their website.

I am sorry. I left out a few facts. I didn't get it towed to a ford dealer. It was a local shop. I don't know too many shops around my college.

I wouldn't think that a 96 with 70k would still be in warranty but I would like to know if it true that Jet doesn't void the warranty b/c I will put one in my next explorer too.

Ford warranties this computer for 50k miles, At least they did on mine and tolf me it was so, I knew nothing of this till it went bad,

Good luck....

last time i checked jets site it said that it donsnt void any warranty

Originally posted by aldive
Ford warranties this computer for 50k miles, At least they did on mine and tolf me it was so, I knew nothing of this till it went bad,

Good luck....

On my '97 the PCM is warranted for 8 years / 80 K miles.

what is the pcm? cause i called ford and they had 3 year 36000 miles for me gem, but if they're giving me some bs, it's on and i'm going to be super super :fire: :fire:

PCM/GEM/ECC/ECM are all names for the same thing.
Powertrain Control Module
General? Engine Management module
Engine Control Computer
Engine Control Module

etc, etc.

Originally posted by 98FordX24
last time i checked jets site it said that it donsnt void any warranty

It doesn't. If push came to shove, it would be up to the dealer to prove that the chip caused the damage. My Superchip came with a not card listing their toll-free number and a number for the FTC stating that if the manufacturer ever refused to honor the warranty due to the installation of the chip, to call one of the numbers listed. It is illegal for a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage just because an aftermarket part was used. If they can prove that the chip caused the damage, then they can deny coverage on the part that was damaged by the chip. Merely saying that it failed because you had a chip does not cut it.

Not Quite

Originally posted by Nozler
PCM/GEM/ECC/ECM are all names for the same thing.
Powertrain Control Module
General? Engine Management module
Engine Control Computer
Engine Control Module

etc, etc.

The PCM, ECC and ECM can all stand for the same thing. The GEM is completely separate. The Explorer has both.

The PCM (as Ford now calls it) is the main computer that controls all of the engine and transmission control functions. It also monitors the emissions system. That is why it is warranted for longer than the standard 3/36K, since it is an emissions item. On '95 and up it is located in the firewall, acessable through the engine compartment.

The GEM is the general electronic module. It controls electrical items (power windows, locks, alarm, 4x4 switching, etc.). It is covered by the standard 3/36K warranty. It is inside the vehicle, behind the dashboard.

I stand corrected. The PCM is what I had go wrong.

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a new gem to put into my wifes 96 explorer, same scenario 4X4 lights flash and power windows won't work while this is happening. I have 2 questions. What do I need to take off to replace it and the people who replaced theirs did it cure the problem? Thanks for any help.

Read the HUGE thread about converting Auto 4x4 to 2wd. I'm pretty sure there are pictures in there cause they were messing with the wires from the GEM. The GEM is behind the radio

I did actually check out that thread but the pictures did not come up. I hope this new gem fixes the problem or else I just wasted $210. Anyone else have good luck after changing it? Thanks.

Try right clicking on the picture, choose properties, copy the internet address, then paste into you address box and click go. Sometimes that will work to get the pictures....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just tried what you suggested and got a message that the pictures no longer exist on the host site. Thanks for trying though. Is it fairly easy to change once I get back there, and agian has this cured the problem for people that have changed it. I think this is serious problem that could result in a dangerous situation. If someone was trying to car jack your vehicle while you are in it and you can't put your window up or if you were in an accident and couldn't open the door but could get out the window but it won't go down. Granted that for most guys we would either beat up the car jacker or bust the window to get out but a lot of our wives and girlfriends drive these and would most likely not be able to do these things. Has anyone started a complaint survey on this yet? I love fords but this seems to be a fairly common problem.

Back