GEM modules | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM modules

6fords

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
I am starting to have some problems with my 2000 Explorer Limited after 200,000 miles. Diagnostic review shows a bad GEM module, which I understand is behind the radio. Four wheel drive is not working and I have read the problem may be a bad GEM module and may be located behind the glove box. Are there separate GEM modules for accessories (power windows, door locks, etc) and the 4x4 drive unit? Is my understanding of the location of these GEM modules correct?

I am starting to have some problems with my 2000 Explorer Limited after 200,000 miles. Diagnostic review shows a bad GEM module, which I understand is behind the radio. Four wheel drive is not working and I have read the problem may be a bad GEM module and may be located behind the glove box. Are there separate GEM modules for accessories (power windows, door locks, etc) and the 4x4 drive unit? Is my understanding of the location of these GEM modules correct?

I'm pretty sure the GEM should be in the left rear cargo area. Open the access panel on the trim panel. You probably won't be able to see it, but if you reach around you'll feel it. Its on the inside of the trim panel, towards the front of the vehicle. If you have a flashlight, you might be able to twist and contort yourself enough to see it.

The one and only GEM is behind the radio on the left hand side. It controls the electronics as well as the 4x4. Also behind the radio on the right hand side is the torque on demand relay. If you look for anything in the rear left of the cargo area you will find the RAP module witch is for the key less entry.

Back