• Register Today It's free!

GEM swap

blue88b2

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Oregun
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
does anybody see a problem with swaping a GEM from a 98 4 door 4x4 explorer... into my 97 4 door 4x4 ex.

I did a bw 1354 manual t-case swap, and have an Overdrive light flash only in low range because in 97 there are speed sensors in the 4405 t-case. but not in 98, so my thoughts where to get a GEM from the model year that doesn't read from those sensors. thanks for the help!

-Jas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

or even swap in a 96 GEM for that matter...

Maybe. Somewhere in there we had a change to the VSS signal. I believe it was 98...but I could be mistaken. I would doubt the old style GEM would work properly with the new style VSS. But that is nothing more than a WAG and I have no experience or data to back it up.

well i picked up a GEM from the local wrecking yard tonight, so for $35 it's worth a try.

Ford made a lot of changes from 1997 to 1998, don't swap GEM's from across those years. The GEM controls many things, something will not work right.

well i just swaped in the new GEM it's from a 98 4door with the same 4l v6 and 5speed auto. it took about 15 minutes.

Code on my 1997 GEM is 14b205-bc
Code on new 1998 GEM is 14b205-cc

Seems to work fine, cruise control, gages, door locks, windows, mirrors, defrost and wiper, radio, lights, seatbelt and airbag and door ajar lights still light on startup. remote start and keyless entry still work fine. Drives and shifts fine up to highway speed and back with no irregular shifts or warning lights. havn't tryed low range yet, but we'll see how it goes soon.

-Jas

Ford made a lot of changes from 1997 to 1998, don't swap GEM's from across those years. The GEM controls many things, something will not work right.

If i didn't who would try it then? This is how things get discovered, somebody has to be first. the worst that could happen is that i'd have to switch them bach and am out $35 and still have no Low range... But yes, i'm not a fan of electrical problems, and it could have possibly caused me greater headaches that the first issue. Time will tell i suppose. Thanks for looking out for me though!

Just checked the differences... According to the pinouts for the three GEM connectors,

>The door handle input on the 97 is not used on the 98,
>The rear wiper motor outputs from the 97 GEM are not used in the 98 GEM (so odds are your rear wiper no longer works),
>On the 97, the 4wd mode input switch on the 4.0L engines is used as the ARC switch input on the 5.0L engines... Could be a conflict there since the 98's was only used as the 4wd input
>The 4wd LOW signal input on the 97 is the 4wd LOW signal output on the 98. Not sure what issues that might create.

Those seem to be the main changes noted on the schematics... Good luck!

-Joe

Just checked the differences... According to the pinouts for the three GEM connectors,

>The door handle input on the 97 is not used on the 98,
>The rear wiper motor outputs from the 97 GEM are not used in the 98 GEM (so odds are your rear wiper no longer works),
>On the 97, the 4wd mode input switch on the 4.0L engines is used as the ARC switch input on the 5.0L engines... Could be a conflict there since the 98's was only used as the 4wd input
>The 4wd LOW signal input on the 97 is the 4wd LOW signal output on the 98. Not sure what issues that might create.

Those seem to be the main changes noted on the schematics... Good luck!

-Joe

Cool thanks!

not sure what the door handle thing is about?

my rear wiper never worked from the get go because the rear hatch is caved in.

i installed a manual BW1354 t-case. which is the reason for the GEM swap anyhow. But it didn't fix my problem, i still get the O/D light flash in low range and tranny goes into limp mode. dang.

I'd be looking for the low range signal at the GEM from teh t-case... that could be the issue. If the GEM doesn't see that it's in low range, it's not going to know why the engine RPM/Load/speed doesn't match what it should be...

that makes sense, just not sure how to do it. Thanks again!

Thanks for that list Joe.

BTW, do you have access to the GEM details for a 98 Expedition? I'd like to compare a 4WD Explorer GEM to it for the transfer case functioning. I have the BW4406 going in my 302 98, and the early Expedition had a 2WD switch setting, plus the 4HI was a shift motor selection.

I am seriously considering trying to pull the 4WD wiring from my GEM connector and running them to a 98 Expedition GEM. I have a four position 2003 switch to use. Regards,

Thanks for that list Joe.

BTW, do you have access to the GEM details for a 98 Expedition? I'd like to compare a 4WD Explorer GEM to it for the transfer case functioning. I have the BW4406 going in my 302 98, and the early Expedition had a 2WD switch setting, plus the 4HI was a shift motor selection.

I am seriously considering trying to pull the 4WD wiring from my GEM connector and running them to a 98 Expedition GEM. I have a four position 2003 switch to use. Regards,

Yup... E-mail me and I'll shoot it over to ya'...

GI... do you have wiring diagrams for the 97 and 98 where could i find them? i'd like to have a look to see about figuring out the low signal. Thanks

Back