• Register Today It's free!

Gen 1 4r70w swap?

Brocster

Reaction score
City, State
Holtville CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' xlt
Hi I'm new here and have been through the heartache of Ford automatic slushboxes on more than one occasion. I have a 92 xlt and have been exploring (no pun intended) my options for a trans swap WHEN my pathetic A4LD kicks the bucket. I have browsed the Frankentranny thread and also the 5r55e thread and the 700r4 as well. But I haven't seen anybody talking about a 1st gen 4r70w swap. Is this because it just simply isn't feasable? Or is it not even worth the headache?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its because the 4r70w is a v8 transmission, and most of the v8 1st gen swaps i have seen personally have been carb'd

its because the 4r70w is a v8 transmission, and most of the v8 1st gen swaps i have seen personally have been carb'd

Ya I knew it was a v8 trans that's why I was hoping it might actually be worth putting behind a 4.0. Is it not compatible whatsoever?

i have never seen an adapter for it, and the computer controls would be a nightmare, far worse then nice59f100's 5r55e conversion

Swap the manual. It's slightly stronger and less complex. Plus it's bolt in.

Back