• Register Today It's free!

Gen 1 Explorer sport shocks

94Sport5

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
Anybody have some helpful opinions regarding kyb gas a just, Monroe sensatrac, factory motorcraft shocks, or anything else on a 94 sport 4x4? Will the 10" shorter wheelbase make the gas a justs seem too stiff? Or just right? Would I still experience body roll with the sensatracs being this is a 2 door instead? Have heard of it being a problem with 4 door exs. And are the factory motorcrafts good shocks? Or too cushy? Because those are a last resort. Will be replacing sway bar links before or after shocks to judge the differences in replacing the worn parts. Right now I can easily move the vehicle side to side when parked, and the front and rear seem pretty bouncy when testing it, even kinda seem slightly uneven valving or something. Rides very stiff over bumps but can tell the springs are doing their job over large seamless dips in the road. Sorry for the single paragraph as it's very late and all of this is keeping me awake! Lol thanks for any opinions!

In general I use the KYB's as an OEM shock replacement on most vehicles I get to work on. They tend to be a little stiffer on some vehicles though. I've never used them on an Explorer. All my work on explorers has pretty much been for more off-road orientated. Spring choice will also affect now it rides by quite a bit. If you use progression coil springs it'll move much easier in the beginning and not stiffen up until you've compressed more of the spring.

Thank you for the reply, I'll post what I decide on and the before after replacing front/rear stabilizer bushings, then the shocks so in the future it may help someone. Appreciate the input!

I bought sense tracks so many years ago but I wish I didn't let someone talk me out of the coil over version especially the rears the bilstiens had the best right ups more expensive monoshock type that is single chamber shocks but those are nothing like a tailored set of actuated shocks that bilstien used to make custom before they had a more of name monoshock is better coil over is for hauling an extra 500 pounds but ill bet there just better cause fords are typically soft in the caboose ask petty there are advantages of soft of course

Back