Gen 1 front recovery points

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Anyone have pictures or ideas for what they've done for tow points on the front to be strapped to or winch lines to be hooked up to when running a stock front clip/bumper? I've got some ideas and need to knock something out this weekend but always open to see what others have done...

100_2889_zpsaae233e0.jpg

Thanks,
Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't have a picture of it , but on my F150 I bolted a Super Duty hook to the side of the frame and cut a hole in the bumper where it stuck out.

On my 97 I had a hook that stuck through the "mouth" in the bumper. Now I have a front hitch... but I had to take a little out the bumper to make it fit

I gave them away years ago, but I made some drop brackets out of 3/8" plate for standard tow hooks that mounted to the inside front bumper mounts. Mounted them flat up against the bottom of the bumper with just enough to get a strap in there. Cut holes out of that plastic thingy on the bottom of your bumper that the hooks stuck out of. Helped keep the straps in place too.

I made a front hitch out of some steel plate and an old rear hitch I got at a junkyard for nothing. Used it to winch trees out and even jerk a few out, held up just fine.

I've still never done anything up front. To this day the only time I've ever been on a strap was the very very very first time I put it in 4wd and took it out on a legit trail. I probably could've made the obstacle too but being the very first time out with a freshly built rig I was being cautious and elected for the rope.

Not the best shots, because they aren't really to show the tow points, but here are mine.

Welded to the frame and I was going to bolt them as well, but never got to it.

Very left of the pic. They are angled because of the kinks in the frame.

FenderTrim4.gif

IMG_4143.gif

Also used one of them for the winch hook.

DesignPlan-1.gif

Going to be doing some recovery points on the front of mine in the next month as well. :scratch: I am keeping the factory front bumper for now.

Was thinking just coming off of the bottom on the frame rails and using these Bumper Clevis. Then I can use D-Rings when needed, I wont leave them on as I think they only really look good on fully built bumpers. Also would be nice and high so they don't stick out as an eye sore. May end up different once I get my winch all in this weekend. I may have a change of heart for what I want to do.

Going to be doing some recovery points on the front of mine in the next month as well. :scratch: I am keeping the factory front bumper for now.

Was thinking just coming off of the bottom on the frame rails and using these Bumper Clevis. Then I can use D-Rings when needed, I wont leave them on as I think they only really look good on fully built bumpers. Also would be nice and high so they don't stick out as an eye sore. May end up different once I get my winch all in this weekend. I may have a change of heart for what I want to do.

on't forget to post pictures :):thumbsup:

Just bought some D ring mounts on E Bay

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-24-19-21-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-24-19-21-58.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 357

Back