Gen 4 mirrors on Gen 3 4 Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen 4 mirrors on Gen 3 4 Door

94xlt4x4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4 3.5L
Hey guys - just wanted to take a few minutes and confirm that yes, this swap does work.

I picked up my 4th Explorer, a 2004 Eddie Bauer 4.6 4x4, back in March and was disappointed that it still had the same small mirrors that my 2000 has. Especially after driving my F-150, I find them to be too small for the vehicle. I did some searching on here, but couldn't find a definitive yes/no/these parts work etc, so thought someone might find this helpful.

I ordered a set of heated power aftermarket mirrors for 06-10 Explorer (Kool-Vue FD100EL and FD100ER) from an eBay seller for around $160. I was a little skeptical of the quality because of the low price, but they don't vibrate while driving (even at 70+ MPH), and the power adjustment works just fine. They also bolted right up in place of the 04 mirrors I removed. Overall I'm pleased with them. You could try to find some 06-10 mirrors in a junkyard as well.

I didn't take any pics of the installation process - didn't think about posting until after they were already installed. There's a good video on how to remove the door panel here:

Once the panel is off, remove the small plastic cover sheet from the mirror bolts (just peel it back). Disconnect the wiring harnesses from the mirrors by pushing in the tab and pulling the connector off. Remove the (3) 11MM nuts from the existing mirror and pull off from the outside. I put a couple small strips of electrical tape inside my 11mm socket to keep from dropping the nuts down into the door.

Once the old mirror is out, installation is the same process in reverse. Slip the new mirror into place and tighten the nuts back down, reconnect the wiring harness, and put the cover and door panel back on. Easy peasy.

Once that's done, it should look something like this:

Last step is to take care of the mirror caps. The Kool-Vue mirrors come with both chrome and paintable caps. I opted to paint mine to match the truck since the chrome looked kind of goofy with the tan EB grille and bumper cover. I used Dupli-Color adhesion promoter/primer (3 coats), followed by 5 coats of Dupli-Color base coat. The color isn't a 100% perfect match, but it's very close.

Once dry, I'll wet sand and clear coat with Spraymax clear. The stuff is great and I highly recommend it for a nicer looking and longer lasting alternative to the Dupli-Color clear.

If I had used the chrome caps, it'd simply be a matter of snapping them into place and calling it good.

Hopefully this helps someone - especially as these trucks get a bit older and people want to spruce them up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could certainly do that. There are a few signal mirror kits available for the Gen 4 that you could wire in. Or I would imagine the Aviator mirrors would work also. For my truck, I didn't want them - the turn signals on the body are visible enough and I don't use it to tow.

Did your eb already have the heated mirrors? I'm looking at doing this as well since my Grand Prix has larger mirrors. lmao.

Just currious since i have a '03 XLT if the heated option is an option.

Thanks

Did your eb already have the heated mirrors? I'm looking at doing this as well since my Grand Prix has larger mirrors. lmao.

Just currious since i have a '03 XLT if the heated option is an option.

Thanks

The heated mirrors will work even if it did not come with them. They are prewired for the option. I put heated 4th gens on my '04. They plug in the same as the others and work off the rear window defrost switch.

My 04 did have heated stock mirrors, but everything I read jives with what 1Bad04 says - the wiring is all there and the heat is activated with the rear defrost switch. This was an easy swap and after a month I'm still very happy with the end result.

Awesome, Thanks.

You could certainly do that. There are a few signal mirror kits available for the Gen 4 that you could wire in. Or I would imagine the Aviator mirrors would work also. For my truck, I didn't want them - the turn signals on the body are visible enough and I don't use it to tow.
Beside the obvious change of the look of the mirrors are the cables that are connected to the 06 mirrors identical to the 02?

The heated mirrors will work even if it did not come with them. They are prewired for the option. I put heated 4th gens on my '04. They plug in the same as the others and work off the rear window defrost switch.

If I were to replace the mirrors I would want some with turn signals in them...
The Aviator Mirrors are a lot more involved, as they are not just plug-and-play. I think there was a guy that just re-pinned the mirror part to the explorer/mercury connector and tapped the turn signal wire... I can't seem to find the thread right now... I thought it was in the modified 2002-2005 forum... not seeing it.

T
Just picked up a satin nickel set for my 02 mountaineer that came of an 06.....will be installing shortly....
That's great, I'm trying to pick a cheap pair of black ones... Post pictures please when you're done

Just ordered two mirrors (separately), but both have the right plug. Cost came out to $88 total, because of ordering the mirrors as cheap as possible from eBay. Estimated delivery is he 9th

P1020038_zpsa60w8s11.jpg

P1020038_zpsa60w8s11.jpg

Installed these today in about an hour or so.....they are plug and play with zero modifications as previously stated....the mirrors are bigger and actually allow a better view of sight

Back