JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Well, I'm now in the middle of installing a snorkel on ExplorerEB96's X. Here are a couple of pix. The snorkel is modeled after DasFrem's install except I stuck with the factory conical intake housing instead of converting to the square box. The tubing is 2.5" I.D. PVC electrical conduit. I had to cut away a section of the reinforcement for the front right fender to do it, but it fits pretty well. Next up is trimming the fender to fit over it.

Pix #1

Attachments

• snorkel1.jpg
    snorkel1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 5,105

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pix #2. Note the mitred angle is slightly more than 90° so the tube stays along the inner fender. I mitred one side at 45° and the other at about 50°

Attachments

• snorkel2.jpg
    snorkel2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,556

Pix #3

Attachments

• snorkel3.jpg
    snorkel3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,336

Pix #4

Attachments

• snorkel4.jpg
    snorkel4.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,302

lookin good Jeff!!!

Didn't think you were going to work of July 4th weekend!! Take a break!!! Will ya!! nah you know now that I am happy!!! Will be sending Doug's $$ as soon as he emails me his addy!!!

Thanks again Jeff!!

Karol

Here are a couple more shots with the fender re-installed. It's basically finished. I've got a couple of fasteners left to install on the fender. I siliconed the crap out of all the joints after gluing them together to make sure they didn't leak. Fender trimming was a PITA, but it came out pretty good. There's no tip on the Snorkel yet because it's on backorder with the shop.

Attachments

• snorkel 7.jpg
    snorkel 7.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,228

Karol, if you hydrolock this motor now, you're on your own!!! :p :D

Attachments

• snorkel8.jpg
    snorkel8.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,208

that looks great.. nice install

Originally posted by JDraper
Karol, if you hydrolock this motor now, you're on your own!!! :p :D

I'm pretty sure that hydrolocking won't be a problem now :D .....with everyting relocated and stuff....nothing should be a problem.....I have to call JD's tomorrow to find out about when that sarfari snorkel tip is coming in...

oh Jeff forgot to say!!! That looks awesome....I am so glad you could do the angling that I wanted.... I hate when the snorkels go straight up...I know it's functional that way..but I just think the smoke stack look is yuck:D

Karol

is there a reason for using two inch other then ease of installation?

i have found the three inch is a bit restrictive with less overall tube lengththen you are running....i have been wondering if you guys have had that problem or not cause i have noticed there are a few others with similar setups around here.......so i am guessin its workin out good.

i was also wondering how much the arb end is and how to get one.

i just run a k&n on the end of mine with a lil metel hood...it used to have those "moon equipped " eyeballs on it...and always draws the same silly ass questions constantly...rolleyes: but this motor is so old it dont matter to me much....but it seems the k&n lets too much dirt in when it rains.... so i would like to have a lil better filtration on the new engine, that arb type hood may allow that...

2.5" ID tubing is used because it will fit in the fender and the O.D. is 3", which is perfect for mounting the ARB Snorkel. 2.5" shouldn't be any worse than stock, since the air inlet hole in the airbox is about 2.25". Also, the 2.5" ID tubing slips over the end of the airbox intake perfectly.

Very sweet! I've got the snorkel head in the back of my truck and the PVC conduit sitting in my place just waiting for a hot minute to install. :D

I'm just deciding if I want to make a drip box out of a PVC electrical box and keep the Ractive cone filter or put my old air box back in and work it that way...

By the way do you have any closeup pics of how you handled the hole in the fender to extend it up?

Thanks.

Jeff is out of town until Weds.

So he probably won't be replying for at least 2 days... just wanted to let you know..

Karol

Thanks...but seeing another 2nd Gen snorkel- the fiend is coming out! :D

I've got the head sitting in the back of my truck and the 45 degree PVC conduit angles along with a length of PVC in my yard...and the class I was teaching tonight got cancelled because the AC went out! :D :D

Hi, ho, hi, ho- it's off to chop I go! :D

Originally posted by cdsl227
By the way do you have any closeup pics of how you handled the hole in the fender to extend it up?

Thanks.

Ask and ye shall receive :D Here are a couple of shots. I trimmed it out with some Door Edge Guards I got at Wal-Mart. Worked nicely.

Attachments

• fender1.jpg
    fender1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,066

Next pix.

Attachments

• fender2.jpg
    fender2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,072

Third Pix. Karol, you're gonna have to let me know what you wanna do about the radio antenna. It had to be removed to install the Snorkel. Right now, there just isn't one, and the antenna wire is laying on the passenger's side front floor boards.

Attachments

• fender3.jpg
    fender3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,996

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks much!!

I was going to chop it the other day, but then by the time I got to it I figured I wouldn't be done to get to work the next day, but Thursday is looking up! I don't have to be back till Monday. :D

Back