• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Gen II Snorkel Install Pix

canada74

Reaction score
City, State
windsor, ontario canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt
got a question. do you have to run the pipe that high up or can you go up 6" to a foot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Well I want to add a snorkel to my 91 Sport but now that I have the fiberglass fenders coming I am hessitant to cut into them just in case I want to resell them. I heard someone talking about going through the apron ever see that done. Above the hood where the wipers are.

Muskrat

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Califon, NJ USA!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger STX
you can go up as high as you want with a snokel, it's just to keep water out of the engine, and ideally you want it so it doesn't suck in water that splashed over the hood.
Jack, go to TRS, there is a write up of cowl inducted snorkels there, but I'm not big on that idea

ExplorerEB96

Elite Explorer<br>Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill Florida (Weeki Wachee) from Bucks County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB-gone 13 Honda Pilot
antenna

well if you can relocate it or something , that would be nice.....my CD player doesn't work (I don't know why...it just works when it wants to...most of the time it just reads "bad CD") so the radio is almost all I have for now... I don't want to put a nice sound system in there for obvious reasons...

Karol

bobby walter

Reaction score
City, State
Houghton lake mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 ranger ext cab 4x4
mine is cowl......only thing i bought was the k&n.

lo_jack

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hey ya'll that looks mighty fine, but how does it hook to the airbox on the other side? It looks beautiful, but I'd like to know more of the function. I was wanting to do one on my dodge...the explorer is 2wd, and I just have to accept that and move on.

matey

Aussie Dude
Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NSW Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Black 01 xlt explorer
cool pics did you notice your refection in the door ??:D

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Originally posted by lo_jack
Hey ya'll that looks mighty fine, but how does it hook to the airbox on the other side? It looks beautiful, but I'd like to know more of the function......

???? Airbox is not on the other side. In the Explorers, it's on the passenger's side of the vehicle behind the headlight. Take a look at the 2nd and 4th pix on the first page and you can see where it plugs into the airbox.

Whaddya mean ya wanna know more of the function? It's function is to raise the air intake point above any possible water level.

Originally posted by matey
cool pics did you notice your refection in the door ??:D

Yeah, I did. There was a lot more reflection in the one shot, but I cut it down. Didn't wanna scare people to death :D

lo_jack

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Sorry I wasn't specific. I meant the other side of the fender sheet metal. And I know what it is for, but I want to know how it does it. For instance how do you seal it and make sure you dont have a leak between it and your airbox. Also it would be nice to know about any effects on mpg. Sorry for the confusion.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
The conical airbox sticks through the inner fender from the factory, so no modification is necessary. The factory setup has a cold air intake tube that goes down towards the front of the truck. That just gets pulled out. Actually, the factory intake tube was the reason Karol hydrolocked it in the first place. The inlet is so low, it pulled water in from below the bumper and wasted the motor.

To seal it, silicone caulk does wonders. Just get a tube of 100% silicone caulk and have at the joints.

I highly doubt it will affect mpg's any. The ID of the tube is larger than the stock intake's ID, so the only restrictions will be from surface drag, and considering there is only about 6' of tubing, I doubt that it will cause any drop in mpg.

ExplorerEB96

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
I noticed the top of the tube is open

I know it rained heavily at State College .....was there any danger of water getting in that way ?

Karol

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Nah, I gave it a condom to be safe :D. I put a plastic baggie over the top and wrapped it with duct tape.

ExplorerEB96

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
LOL

Originally posted by JDraper
Nah, I gave it a condom to be safe :D. I put a plastic baggie over the top and wrapped it with duct tape.

Never thought I would have seen "condom" and "duct tape" used in the same sentence...

Karol

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Interceptor
now the question is... why ARB or someone else have never thought of this?

you need to protect the design. Register and make sure you sell rights to everyone that would want to copy your design.

Do you need an agent for that?
:cool:

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Wish I could claim the design completely, but DasFrem was the first to do it. Mine is different due to the way I hooked up the airbox, but the general idea is Matt's

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Almost done!:D

Got too late to cut the fender, but...

screen021.jpg

screen025.jpg

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Thanks for the incentive! :D

I saw DasFrems and ordered the snorkel head...

Then you hadda go and post another snorkel thread! :D