Gen II Snorkel Install Pix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen II Snorkel Install Pix

got a question. do you have to run the pipe that high up or can you go up 6" to a foot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I want to add a snorkel to my 91 Sport but now that I have the fiberglass fenders coming I am hessitant to cut into them just in case I want to resell them. I heard someone talking about going through the apron ever see that done. Above the hood where the wipers are.

you can go up as high as you want with a snokel, it's just to keep water out of the engine, and ideally you want it so it doesn't suck in water that splashed over the hood.
Jack, go to TRS, there is a write up of cowl inducted snorkels there, but I'm not big on that idea

antenna

well if you can relocate it or something , that would be nice.....my CD player doesn't work (I don't know why...it just works when it wants to...most of the time it just reads "bad CD") so the radio is almost all I have for now... I don't want to put a nice sound system in there for obvious reasons...

Karol

mine is cowl......only thing i bought was the k&n.

Hey ya'll that looks mighty fine, but how does it hook to the airbox on the other side? It looks beautiful, but I'd like to know more of the function. I was wanting to do one on my dodge...the explorer is 2wd, and I just have to accept that and move on.

cool pics did you notice your refection in the door ??:D

Originally posted by lo_jack
Hey ya'll that looks mighty fine, but how does it hook to the airbox on the other side? It looks beautiful, but I'd like to know more of the function......

???? Airbox is not on the other side. In the Explorers, it's on the passenger's side of the vehicle behind the headlight. Take a look at the 2nd and 4th pix on the first page and you can see where it plugs into the airbox.

Whaddya mean ya wanna know more of the function? It's function is to raise the air intake point above any possible water level.

Originally posted by matey
cool pics did you notice your refection in the door ??:D

Yeah, I did. There was a lot more reflection in the one shot, but I cut it down. Didn't wanna scare people to death :D

Sorry I wasn't specific. I meant the other side of the fender sheet metal. And I know what it is for, but I want to know how it does it. For instance how do you seal it and make sure you dont have a leak between it and your airbox. Also it would be nice to know about any effects on mpg. Sorry for the confusion.

The conical airbox sticks through the inner fender from the factory, so no modification is necessary. The factory setup has a cold air intake tube that goes down towards the front of the truck. That just gets pulled out. Actually, the factory intake tube was the reason Karol hydrolocked it in the first place. The inlet is so low, it pulled water in from below the bumper and wasted the motor.

To seal it, silicone caulk does wonders. Just get a tube of 100% silicone caulk and have at the joints.

I highly doubt it will affect mpg's any. The ID of the tube is larger than the stock intake's ID, so the only restrictions will be from surface drag, and considering there is only about 6' of tubing, I doubt that it will cause any drop in mpg.

I noticed the top of the tube is open

I know it rained heavily at State College .....was there any danger of water getting in that way ?

Karol

Nah, I gave it a condom to be safe :D. I put a plastic baggie over the top and wrapped it with duct tape.

LOL

Originally posted by JDraper
Nah, I gave it a condom to be safe :D. I put a plastic baggie over the top and wrapped it with duct tape.

Never thought I would have seen "condom" and "duct tape" used in the same sentence...

Karol

now the question is... why ARB or someone else have never thought of this?

you need to protect the design. Register and make sure you sell rights to everyone that would want to copy your design.

Do you need an agent for that?
:cool:

Wish I could claim the design completely, but DasFrem was the first to do it. Mine is different due to the way I hooked up the airbox, but the general idea is Matt's

Almost done!:D

Got too late to cut the fender, but...

screen021.jpg

screen025.jpg

Thanks for the incentive! :D

I saw DasFrems and ordered the snorkel head...

Then you hadda go and post another snorkel thread! :D

Back