Gen2 Explorer/Gen1 Sport Trac rear USB/Aux needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen2 Explorer/Gen1 Sport Trac rear USB/Aux needed

daChurchPcGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Longmeadow, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I'm looking to replace the head unit in my Gen1 Sport Trac, which I believe is the same as the Gen2 Explorer. I'm installing a high center console and I'd like to add Aux in, USB, and radio controls to the rear section.

That means I need the following ports on the back of the head unit:
1) USB
2) Aux in
3) Steering wheel controls
4) Blue tooth built in

Basically, I'm trying to update the cab to a modern system. iPhone 4 or 5 input would be good as well, but it's not a deal breaker.

Any positive input would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You won't be able to easily add in those rear radio controls, and I don't think anyone has found a way to add them to an aftermarket deck. Although it may be possible, it will be way more work than intended.
Even to add them to the stock radio.. there is no plug for it, you'd actually have to change the entire truck's wiring harness to one from a truck that had the long console, or splice in a lot of connections.

Im in the same boat, I can't find a definitive answer on the back seat controls.

I have read articles 'suggesting' that with the steering wheel audio controls adapter the rear controls would work also. I can't find proof of this anywhere.

One of my hold backs to updating my head units is that I like everything in my truck to be working.

Im in the same boat, I can't find a definitive answer on the back seat controls.

I have read articles 'suggesting' that with the steering wheel audio controls adapter the rear controls would work also. I can't find proof of this anywhere.

One of my hold backs to updating my head units is that I like everything in my truck to be working.

But you probably have rear controls stock? The OP doesn't.. So it'd be a pita.

Yup, mine are stock. Does that mean my rear controls should work with the steering wheel control 'adapter'?

My apologies to the op for the hijack.

They probably won't work..
You can always try?

From what I understand the rear controls are just switches, the same as steering wheel controls. Most modern head units have provisions for steering wheel controls through an add-on connector.

I plan to convert one of the headphone jacks into an AUX in port. I'll have to cut to add a USB.

I was looking for suggestions on head units, figuring somebody must have done this before. If not, I'll write up the conversion once I get my project started.

From what I understand the rear controls are just switches, the same as steering wheel controls. Most modern head units have provisions for steering wheel controls through an add-on connector.

I plan to convert one of the headphone jacks into an AUX in port. I'll have to cut to add a USB.

I was looking for suggestions on head units, figuring somebody must have done this before. If not, I'll write up the conversion once I get my project started.

Please do! You will be the first to actually post what you did, and how it went.

The 'switches' actually tap in at the rear speakers, and not just the headunit.
So it will probably be harder than you think.

If you need a wiring diagram of the system, just ask.

Back