• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

General consensus on tires

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
I'm looking to replace the worn out tires on my 02 E/B. I do virtually no off roading however with the winters up here in Canada traction is certainly a requirement.

Looking to find a tire that is a good all season tire, not noisy on the highway and not a deep lug agressive tread.

What are guys/gals happy with?

Thanks.....John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
i went from good years that came with the car to michelins last year. the ride is 10 times smoother and a hundred times quieter than before.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
I'm running the Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac and love 'em. Very quite with exceptional winter performance.

Image Courtesy: www.samsclub.com

LONO100

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
i really like the way the new pirelli scorpion AT's run on my buddy's new F150. they are pretty well balanced in terms of being quiet on the road, smooth, but being able to handle a little dirt and snow.

RickM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer 4.6 XLT 4x4
I went with the Firestone Destinations (17"). First Firestones I ever bought and I'm very impressed, especially for the price.

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
Tire choices

That's a great site Boner...thanks...

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
i went from good years that came with the car to michelins last year. the ride is 10 times smoother and a hundred times quieter than before.
x2 on Michelins - pretty much the only tire brand I go for these days on street driven vehicles, including my small bus which often gets driven to the ski slopes with 5-12 people on board.

gtyates

Reaction score
City, State
Goodlettsville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Sport Trac, '17 Explo
Michellin LTX M/S. I run them on my '04 4x4, though in the Southeast US we do not see a lot of snow (mostly ice here).

BigFellor

Reaction score
City, State
Shittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Michellin LTX M/S. I run them on my '04 4x4, though in the Southeast US we do not see a lot of snow (mostly ice here).

This. I got the M/S 2s last season and am very happy with them. Good traction through snow and a good ride on the highway,

Limited03

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
I have been happy with my Yokahoma GeoLanders. I am on my second set and I bought them at the Tire Rack.

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
Well, today i installed a set of four Canadian Tire Motomaster Total Terrain A/P tires and the ride is just great. I read the reviews and was certainly impressed.

The noise from the old tires is gone and the truck now hits the bumps much softer.

The tires were well within my budget @ $119 each. I'll report back after a few thousand miles to let everyone know they handle etc especially if we get some snow here.

Thanks for all the comebacks.........regards.......John

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
LOL,
recommending Canadian Tire tires on a mostly American Forum,

no biggie as alot of Canucks use it too, just like me,,

i had the same tires you speak of before on my 96 when i first got it and they worked good in everything but deeper snow, , but being Canadian we could get enough snow at any time to shut just about any vehicle down,,

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
Ha. Actually Corkey i wasn't recommending them, just letting everyone know that i had bought a set and would report back on them.

Yes, i agree there are a lot of Canucks on this forum.

So far the tires are very quiet, the ride has improved 100%, on ice they are decent but not enough snow to see how they fare in the deep stuff.

Regards.........John

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I have never been dissatisfied with Michellin tires. If you are on a budget, I have had good luck with Hankook tires.

D Hook

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V-8
I've been very satisfied with General Grabber. Bought a set over a year ago and doing great. Quiet and good traction. Good pricing, too.

ddenni21

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Firestone Destination A/T, great and great price. I will never buy another brand

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

GuardianSport

Reaction score
City, State
Lindsay, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 ST Adrenalin
The Sport has Goodyear Wrangler Territories on them. Before the crash I ran them for 2 1/2 years straight. They are exceptional, look aggressive and fit the truck's profile nicely. They still even have the injection nubs on them to this day. The noise was greater than the mismatched Goodyears that the truck came with, but that's the trade-off for aggressive tires. There was never any snow or mud they could not overcome. I plan on using them this winter on my EB.

Oh, and they're Canadian Tire exclusive tires. Suck it Amerikwa.