General Questions about 2010 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

General Questions about 2010 Ford Explorer

krimaster11

Reaction score
City, State
Miramar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT - 4X4
Hello, this is my first post ever on any forums but I definitely feel like it’s time to get started.

I recently got a really good deal on a 2010 Explorer with 160k miles on it and so far so good. I don’t feel like this vehicle has been neglected at all but it definitely has some things to be fixed.

I would like to ask a few questions about this vehicle:

1. What kind of issues do you feel like I may find within the next 40,000 miles?
2. Is there any bushings kit or any way to restore some confort in the cabin? (I rode on a brand new one back in 2008, and remember the ride being a lot smoother than what I feel now).

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the engine in it a V6 or V8?

Guess I'll jump in and monitor this thread...

Had a 96 XLT that I sold in 2014 and looking to jump back in with a 2010 Limited with 120-150k miles

Thanks for the quick reply Eddie.
It’s a 4.0 V6.
There are two big cost items to look out for. One is the timing chain guides of the 4.0L SOHC. These engines see the failure of this item a lot. The bad thing is that to replace them requires the engine to be removed. Regular oil changes help to stave off this problem but even then it is no guarantee you won't have this issue.

The second is the 5R55 transmissions that come with the V6. They are notorious for failing between 100k-150k miles. If the previous owner(s) did transmission pan drops and refills every 40k-50k miles then you might not see a transmission failure for a while. Since Ford says the transmission fluid service interval is "lifetime" most people don't do this. If the transmission fluid has never been changed, or the transmission has never been replaced, odds are a transmission failure is looming sooner rather than later.

Other items that usually need addressed after 100k miles is wheel bearings, radiator replacement, blend door issues, brake rotors etc. What you will actually see will depend on how many items have been dealt with previously and the fluid maintenance the vehicle has seen over its lifetime. If you do the mechanical work yourself then dealing with these items are not super expensive with the exception of the transmission. Most people can't tackle a transmission rebuild. If you rely on having mechanics do the work then the cost of these items can be staggering. Dealing with the timing chain guides can cost more than the vehicle is worth. Add in a transmission replacement and you have far more money into these two repairs than the vehicle is worth. Then all the other items I mentioned just make this worse and worse.

IMO, buying a high mileage 3rd or 4th generation V6 Explorer/Mountaineer is very risky if you don't know the repair and maintenance history or you don't do all your repairs. I would recommend buying the V8 versions instead even if the cost is higher. The V8s in the 3rd and 4th gens are very reliable and repairs like timing chain guides etc. much easier to complete. The 3rd gens still have the 5R55 transmissions but the 4th gens have the 6R60/6R80 transmission mated to the V8s. These transmission are very robust and have far fewer issues than the 5R55. If they are maintained well they typically last a very long time without a major failure.

One thing you can rely on with any 3rd or 4th gen Explorer is a barrage of minor repairs, at a minimum, as the miles rack up. But then this can be said of most SUVs.

I purchased my ‘07 4.0 with 150k. Currently has 219k. Put in following (non-maintenance items)
Swaybar links (all around)
Wheel bearings (all around)
Alternator
Rear ac/heater unit
Front balljoints

Back