• Register Today It's free!

General questions about shocks.

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
Please give me opinions on shocks for the rear (brands, prices, performance, likes, dislikes, etc).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put Gabriel high jackers on my truck.

never had a problem with them yet!

thank you i was just looking at some online.... was also looking on 4 wheel parts as well, just really want something a little stiffer in the rear to help match the front the way the torsion bar are racked up. i read on Ranger Forum that Rancho will do so but may be stiffer then i want. anyone know if i can get the rod with the mounting holes separate from the shock?

_custom_chevy_truck_performance_shocksside_by_side.jpg

I don't know about those, probably something you'll have to make or special order maybe?? I run Rancho 5000's on my rig, it sits on 33's and they are a lil rough but I think it's just right minus the bumps I Feel on the road.

If you are looking to firm up the ride you can also had an add a leaf kit. I'm putting the AAL and rancho shocks on in a week or 2, so if this thread is still around ill update...

I don't know about those, probably something you'll have to make or special order maybe?? I run Rancho 5000's on my rig, it sits on 33's and they are a lil rough but I think it's just right minus the bumps I Feel on the road.

only reason i ask about the mounting rods is i have some ranger fx4 level 2 rear shock but need to get the rod in it to mount it unless i buy some shock mounts from racecar engineering... or make my own shock mounts. as far as bumps im not too worried about bumps in the road i will be going to 33's next year.... are you running a 3 inch BL with TT? and shackle?

will have to check em out. thanks.

3" BL, TT and Shackles... yep.... I'm thinking a lot about doing AAL's here soon..

OHHHH, Keep in mind... if you have a catback or anything with a larger tail... and you go through all the hell of putting those stupid shock boots on... the pass side will melt and look like ****. Just an fyi.

Also, you will care about the bumps later.. the suspension is gonna be stiff enough.. I said the same thing and now I wish this was slightly more comfortable.

lol i have noticed on a buddies old explorer. he didnt have exhaust but the little heat shield was missing and therefore melted the boot. would i need to do shackles to clear 33's with a 3 inch body lift, and im in need of a steering shaft extender.. lost mine at work think it had been thrown out by mistake while i was on vaca. sorry off topic..

as for the bumps... i dont really notice them while driving 30 and up due to the tires... i dont think the 33's i want will be better.. looking into yokohama geolander m/t's or if i have enough and a transfer case and front end superswamper boggers

If you have enough money for it, why not just do a suspension lift? Or a long travel setup? I can clear 33's with no trimming, it only rubs on the wheels being cranked under compression.. and that's only on just a tiny tiny lil bit of the inner plastic.

Also, different brands run different sizes, I've had BFGs which run on the smaller size slightly and now I'm running Duratrac's which are just about the same, slightly narrower so it helps a lil bit.

i haven't been able to find any decent lifts... i got the BL for free.. but like i said the steering extender was thrown out at work that basically all i need. I wouldn't mind a lift that way the front end could be softer rather then tight and rough due to the TT. what me and my friend from work were talking about is when i get the tires and extender we will do the body lift then worry about shackles from there.

Look up Camburg or Dixon Bro's and Superlift.

I'll try the first two.. i called superlift twice today and was disconnected both times... after being on hold for 20 minutes each... i may try em again tomorrow.

You can find these kits on each company's website. But they are spendy.

the long travel lifts look like they're worth the money i will say that. but i think that may be later down the road when i have a 2nd vehicle.... right now it the ex and the girlfriends santa fe. now that i have an idea about shocks and various lifts ideas... does anyone have an opinion on auburn lockers?

If you are looking to firm up the ride you can also had an add a leaf kit. I'm putting the AAL and rancho shocks on in a week or 2, so if this thread is still around ill update...

I would like to know how it goes, and a pic of when done if you dont mind... i was talking to my brother about and we don't understand how a AAL works on the explorer.... being the axle sit on top of the leaf spring.

ok the pics did help it puts more of an arch to the stock springs. thanks

well i couldn't get bilstein's for 2 weeks, so i have some Rancho RS5000 coming for tomorrow. i couldn't believe the parts house, Autozone, Advanced Auto part's, and pep boys didn't have any in stock. they all said 2 weeks out for the bilstein's. i will get bilstein's next year when i get the 33's ad BL on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back