• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

General Turbo Questions. Gen II 5.0

I'd like to increase my power while towing with my Gen II 5.0. I'm thinking about doing a rear turbo setup. I think this will be a very fun project and I have the equipment and technical skills necessary to do it, but I honestly don't know much about turbo chargers. What size turbo would I want to operate in the 2000 - 3000 RPM range? Will the turbo give any extra partial (1/2 to full) throttle power in the 1500 - 2500 RPM range while under a heavy load?

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Need to figure out how to get a 3" intake tube from behind the axle to under the hood first. ;)

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
I haven't done any measurements yet, but I was thinking of putting the turbo shortly after the down pipes. If that won't work I think I see a clear path over the axle.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
There is a rear mount turbo build on this forum, however to get the intake tube back under the hood he had to go outside the frame, and up through the inner fender-as the firewall area is already all used up. This forced him to drill a 3" hole thru the frame.