George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Ok, here we go. We are planning a trip to the George Washington National Forest for Saturday September 24, 2011. I am planning to do Stony Run (Big Levels) on Saturday.

Anybody that need to wheel a second day, or all day Shoe Crek is like 20-minutes from the end of Stony Run.

Otherwise, we will be going to Spike's (fishfood) place in Nelson County. It is like 30-minutes from the end of Stony Run. He has some tails, about an hours worth, and he has access to the James River for swimming, fishing, ect.

Stony Run is a nice trail that begins near Sherando Lake and ends at Bald Knob on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is mostly rock for about 3/4, and has some dirt and mud for the last 1/4. It takes about 2 to 4-hours to run. It is passable with a stock 4x4, but some minor scraping (sides on bushes and bottom on rocks) would be expected. The trail head is less than 2-hours from downtown Richmond.

Let the discussions begin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are the trails I would love to go but I can see your obviously much bigger than me...

Well, I wouldn't tale my Gen III on the trail, But I have a lifted 91 (trail rig) and a 04 Ranger Level II (work truck). I really depends on the driver and how worried you are about trail damage. Some spots on the trails are not very wide and sapplings and briars tend to squeeze the trail. So some scratches on the sides is very possible. There are some rocky irregular spots. They are passable, but you may drag a little. It depends on the line you take. There is also at least by pass route that tested me and my rig.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a gravel road and 10 being impossible rocks) I would rate it a 3 or 4.

Sounds like I may be in for the ride I can wax the piss out of it and should avoid most scratches...
I've done the whole peters mill run with it the only thing I may do next time is remove the running boards
Id consider myself a pretty skilled driver and I like to think I'm very aware of the limitations of my rig...(clearance etc...)
Have you been on the peters mill run? Everyone there had 33's or larger but I made it fine bone stock minus a few minor scratches to running boards from rocks... Just took my time and thought out the best route through and occasionaly stopped to check a rock or water depth.. I would rate peters mill a 3 but my three may be lighter than yours lol
I do have tow package with 3.73 and limited slip with the t/c (can cut off but its usually helpful depending on situation)
Xeek saw it truck through some shtuff at the beach and keep on getting it
Plus if I have my duratracs by then they'll sit at 32/10.50
EDIT- after looking at some trail pics etc I think I'm definitely in on this trip

It has been a while since I have been to Peters Mill, but I would say the trails are very similar, except Stony Run has a little mud and dirt at the end of trail.

So what's the plan drive up Saturday then wheel camp etc I wouldn't mind camping both nights but yeah just trying to figure it all out

I will be driving up on Saturday morning. I will either be camping at Spike place or driving home. You can camp at Misty Mountian Campground (private) on 250. Or you could camp at Sherando Lake (State Park). Or you could camp on the trail.

^^ It would be a perfect time to text that new lockerr!! ;)

I'm going to try and not have to go to work that day, nothing's guarenteed though. Started a new/another job this past week.. hopefully I can get in good enough with the manager so that I can request that day off.

i might be in,depending if i get gears by then,or should say gears and a locker!!

The main trail is passable with open diffs. Some bypass sections need at least limited slip and low gears or lockers.

The main trail is passable with open diffs. Some bypass sections need at least limited slip and low gears or lockers.

Let me rephrase that i might be in if i get my front gears and locker.right now i only have rear gears and a locker,4x2 no 4x4

Let me rephrase that i might be in if i get my front gears and locker.right now i only have rear gears and a locker,4x2 no 4x4

If I can make it you should have no problems LOL

Hhahaha just like the beach.right!!;)wtf

Yeah good times I'm looking forward to another trip

looks like i wont be making this as i lost my job and i doubt ill get enough money up for this trip:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back