George Washington National Forest Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington National Forest Info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have not made any plans for a GWNF run this summer, or early fall, but it has been a while. I suggest Stoney Run or Shoe Creek.

I'm in - need to get on the trails!

July does not look good for me, but August or September would be good.

Count me in for August or sept as well

My July is shot as well but i hope to get free by second week in august:thumbsup:

It is almost August, and it is hot. I think that a trip around the end of August may be a good idea.

gwnf recon

greetings,

i just made two passes through the gwnf on my way to and from Chicago. when i did, i spent some time with my maps and GPS seeing what i could find electronically. When i went through the "dry river" (for lack of a better name)and brandiwine areas i took special note to look for wheelin areas. i was surprised to see how many there were (probably a dozen or more access points) and they all seemed moist if not muddy. Additionally i saw a major local swimming hole (probably 20 cars parked there).

i know in the past we have usually done the second mountain thing then busted butt to get back to Richmond, and it has usually been in the cooler parts of the year. Last time we went over to the dry river section and went in at the one of the eastern most access points. There are a lot more access points west of there. I am thinking that even if it is hot then making it a saturday overnighter might be a good idea maybe cooling off in the dry river etc.

i also scoped out a series of forest roads (on the topo software) on the south side of 33 around the store at rawley springs. They might be worth exploring as well.

Anyway... the area seems to have lots of promise but unfortunatley i didnt get to check out any of the wheelin spots since i was driving the thunderbird.
I am thinking about doing a recon weekend in advance of whatever forum trip that you will be doing later in the month i am thinking about saturday 8/16for a recon run. i dont know what we will find, so it best that we do not take a large group on this one.

Probably leave early sat. get there and pick out a base camp site near some sort of water then just checking out the access points in the area, kickin around for the day then heading back home sunday morning.

if/when you do shoe creek/stoney run etc. We can make it an overnighter at my place. i plan to rent a backhoe to make my trails more difficult by then. The AC will be working in the shed/cabin by then as well, and of course there is the swimming in the James.

I could be up for a trip to Dry River. i don't think I will have time for a pre-run trip.

Dry river...

i am half way thinking about getting a wild hair and doing the recon run tommorrow morning to take advantage of this unseasonably cool weather. not a great idea to wheel alone, but what the hell. i may drop in and see you guys today to bring you some fresh smoked BBQ.

I suggest Stoney Run or Shoe Creek.

Both great trails... this is a side obstacle from Shoe Creek in 2003

14229adry_liftin__tire.jpg

14229over_ledge_smaller.jpg

We should make a date and go on a run. I need to do a little maintenance work on my X.

hokie, you miss them hills of home don't you?

hokie, are you going to come back after you finish you schooling?

You can pick up a gen I X for a song these days. Do a shackle and spacer lift and you got a decent buggy.

Wish I would have seen this sooner...

??? We have not been anywhere yet.

Im up for a run!!!!!

i did not do a recon on the brandiwine area and i did not get to create the obsatcle routes at my place either, but i am up for a run. How about labor day weekend (8/30 etc.) or the following weekened (9/6)? I am good for whatever location you want you do.

The river side trail at my place is gotten overgrown. I was there last weekend and the grass is as tall as my vehicle. it looks like someone may have cleared an ATV path but i didnt push it.

I would have made arrangements to have off, but I just started a new job; that was what I was getting at.

i did not do a recon on the brandiwine area and i did not get to create the obsatcle routes at my place either, but i am up for a run. How about labor day weekend (8/30 etc.) or the following weekened (9/6)? I am good for whatever location you want you do.

I could probably make a run during the labor day weekend (need to double check with the boss to see if we have anything planned), but can't go the following weekend due to work.

Let me know what you guys come up with and I'll join you if I can...

I am in. I need to work on my X today to get ready.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in too !!!!!

Damn.... i just cut my front hitch off yesterday so i am bumperless and hitchless, but what the hell. maybe i can get the winch mounted before the weekend if i get off my butt.

any concensus on where ? A. stoney run B. Shoe creek, or C. Dry river area, or my place wit a or b?

Back