Gerald Jarrett - Simpsonville, SC 2nd gen offroad - Herc | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gerald Jarrett - Simpsonville, SC 2nd gen offroad - Herc

'99 EddieBauer 4x4 SOHC aka "Herc"

101hercatgatekeeper.jpg

The Gatekeeper, Rubicon trail, CA

101Sedona1.jpg

Broken Arrow trail, Sedona, AZ

101HolyCross14.jpg

Holy Cross trail, CO

101SteelbenderAir.jpg

Steelbender trail, Moab UT

101Descent2.jpg

The Slabs, Llano River in Texas

Powertrax NoSlip Lockers front and rear
K&N AirFilter / Drilled Airbox and Gibson catback exhaust
Missing Anti-Swaybars
4.5" Lift: Torsion Twist / F150 Leaf + Warrior Shackle Lift + 3" Body Lift
35" Goodyear MTR tires
OME and Gabriel VST shocks
4.88 gears
Custom Rocksliders

101HercOnUpper2.jpg

Tellico, NC

101Upchuck.jpg

Honeymoon in Moab, 2004

101gerald_1.jpg

Rattler Trail, Paragon Adventure Park, PA

101OceanoDunes4.jpg

Oceano Dunes SVRA, Pismo Beach, CA

Herculined rocker panels, WAAG Aero Front Brushguard & Manik Taillight Guards, and Hootus Dead Link Removed
PIAA 520 black fogs
SURCO safari rack
"Whitewater" Custom Side Graphics and Zaino Finish
A Really Scarred-up Undercarriage & Well-Used Skidplates
Cobra 75 SX/WT CB-in-Mike System
"Texas Kleenex Box" Dead Link Removed
CatchAll Mats
And the EB Luxuries; + real woodgrain dash/console/armrests, cellphone center, etc.
And a bunch of other stuff.

101HercCreek.jpg

George Washington Nat'l Forest, VA

PhotoByRick.jpg

Badlands Offroad Park, Attica, IN

101GoldenCrackHerc.jpg

Golden Crack, Golden Spike Trail, Moab UT

And one of my (pre-rockslider) Whoops
1011stClaytonWhoops2.jpg

Lost Timberline trail, Clayton OK
$$$Ka~Ching! Dead Link Removed

Official member of the Rollover Posse Dead Link Removed

101HellsGateAir.jpg

Hell's Gate: Hell's Revenge trail, Moab, UT

:scratch: "What the heck is he doing out here in that thing?" :scratch:

moab_geraldlion2.jpg

Lion's Back, Moab UT
They told me the soccer field was up here somewhere.... dangit!... Got lost again....

:bounce: Looky here and click on this link! Herc is a Featured Explorer now! :bounce:
http://www.explorer4x4.com/gjarrett.html

Happy Trails To All!
Gerald
gerald@explorerforum.com
<{{{><

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

33's

Hey Gerald,

I was reading your thread when you first got your 33's on. You only have the tt/shackles and a 1" puck body lift and they fit that well?
I am trying to determine if i want to go with the hassel of a three inch body lift or just a two. I guess what i am getting at is, would a 2" lift plus the tt/shackels suffice to pass my 33's? or do i need to go with a 3"?

thanks,
Jared

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I am running a 2" BL with the shackles and TT and I had no problems with 285/75 16 (which is just shy of a 33"). With the 2" or 3" you may have some plastic trimming to do. I don't think 1" will make a difference to what you will have to trim since most of the trimming is at the bottom of the fenderwell and you will still need that at full compression. With an XLT you shouldn't have too much to trim.

Thanks for int info Dave. appreciate it.. :D

jared

Hey Gerald I just wanted to say thanks. The info that I got from your page has helped my turn my Explorer into the SUV that I've always wanted.
I now have a two inch proformance accessories body lift and have the tt lift and have shackles and add-a-leafs in the rear. And now they fit my new BFG 33's just fine. :D Thanks again for posting this page!!
I just have a couple of questions for you. I am in dire need of some after market shocks now and have been looking into getting some OME's. I have called around to a few places and have done some research, but i keep getting mixed info. It's my understanding that I am looking at part number N17 for the rear shocks and N16 for the front. Would you be able to validate this if you can. It is a pain to try to find shocks that fit our lifts. Also if these are the correct numbers where exactly did you pick them up for only $60 a peice?
Last question.. I am also looking at purchasing the powertrax No-Slip for my rear diff. Now I live in Utah were we can have some pretty harse winters and I have heard that a locker might not be a good idea for a snow driver. If only i could afford it, I would love to get an ARB but I am on a budget.. lol. My " 'Sploder" is my daily driver, but I also want to be able to goto Moab this next spring and conquer the trails. Have you had any expirence with the 'No-Slip' in the snow on highway? and did it make a difference? I don't won't to have a problem in the snow, on road or off.. lol.
Thank You SOOO much for posting this tread, it has been a source of soo much information.

Jared

Now you have me looking for hidden compartments to use in all the other cars!!
I love the photographs. I hope to have some time in the near future to complete a project and do some off road and dirt bike riding.

Thanks for the comments guys. Jared, I don't know the part number for the OME shocks, but I bought them from the local 4wheel parts in Dallas and got a good deal on them. Though I have driven on snow on the trail, I still have not driven my Powertrax very much on a snowy street yet, so am not qualified to reply about what happens. Could get interesting though :D

I have gone very short distances on an icy/snowy highway but drove very conservatively (since there was patchy ice present) and noted no ill effects.

Hey Gerald, I'm not sure if what I am talking about exists, but have you ever had an issue with a (stabilizing) 'shock' over the rear diff? I heard of a few people removing it after a lift because it gets fully extended, so I wanted to know if you did it. I'm just planning ahead for doing a TT and such things. Thanks (and nice truck!)
-----Nate

Yeah Nate, I threw that thing away a long time ago. I never noticed any difference in ride and removing it improved the flex.

texas tissues

Hey, excellent post with lots of great info. The only question i have is what type of material did you use to close off the tissue hole in the console? And where does one find it. Perhaps i'm just to much of a perfectionist, but i can't find much that will discretely cover that, any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Actually, I was wondering the same thing but, Gerald never said he did it.:) But I was going to ask it like this, If one was to cover the tissue box, how would you guess to do it?:D

Gerald, let me tell you this, your X is insperational, I've got the pic of you in VA, I think, as my computer wallpaper(hope you dont mind). I think its awesome how you want to keep you 'stock' Eddie Bauer look . I feel the same way, fellow 99 EB(YEAH!) Anyways, I know you used hockey pucks as spacers, do you know of anything that would work better, and not rot and squeekwhen wet like the pucks would, don't want to have to do this more than once.

Ah, the Jeopardy contestant phrases the question correctly! :D

IF I were to do a mod like that, I would use a scrap piece of the rough black plastic that the dashboard and rest of the console is made of, cut it to fit, and glue it to the backside of the hole to close it off. The material would then match other interior molding and look factory stock.

I might even notice that other Fords use the same material for interiors and some Taurus and Windstar models (for theoretical example) have small flipdown doors for sunglass storage areas that are just the right size of that material to cut down to shape.

I would not suggest doing a hockey puck lift anymore. Just go to a 2" body lift and get the correct spacers. You'll end up wanting to go to 2" anyway after you go 1".

Originally posted by GJarrett
Ah, the Jeopardy contestant phrases the question correctly! :D
I would not suggest doing a hockey puck lift anymore. Just go to a 2" body lift and get the correct spacers. You'll end up wanting to go to 2" anyway after you go 1".

Im guessing that I am the Jeopardy contestant, hopefully:) ! The reason I was thinking 1" is because of this:

A) I'm 17, and I make $7.50 an hour (only in the summer, mind you) so I am on a LIMITED budget.

B) I know everything would work with a 1" lift i.e. brakelines, axles, etc. I dont know about a 2incher

C) I plan to do a 4door leafpacks, TT, and shackels so wouldnt 1" on top of that be good enough, you would probably be able to answer this the best.:D

I don't know for sure I am just toying with some ideas. Thanks for any input you have on this.:D

local outing

hey gjarratt hey when are local people from the dallas/fw area going to get to gether? i would like to go out and meet a few peeps and check out my new lift on some stuff.... post back up......

Andrew, everything works on the 2" body lift too. You won't need a steering or brakeline extension or anything else. It's when you go to the 3" that you have to do a lot of other stuff.

iroczddp, I'm not in Dallas anymore, I currently live in South Carolina. But there's still a lot of Texans on the site.

Hey Gjarret,
I love your truck, Im always telling people about your truck. I have pictures of it on my wall at my house. Its bad a$$. I was woundering if you have any new pics with your 35's on the truck. Keep up the great mods, im moveing to SOCAL in Jan, 04 for school, hope to meet up for a few runs. oh ya, if you had any problems with the 35's besides the rubbing and body slashing that needs to be done, let me know, i might just upgrade so i can have more fun in CALI and surounding states. Take it easy, K.P.

Thanks Kevin. The only photos so far are a couple that I posted on a thread called "I'm committed now, 35's on the way" or something like that, and a couple more pics should be on a Tellico thread or two. I'm still stripped and won't be photogenic again until next month. Look for photos from an upcoming run I'll be on next month.

really nice explorer. i wanted to know like exactly how u did all ur suspension work. im 17 and dont have a lot of money but i do have a 99 v8 explorer with a 3" body lift and new 33 mtr's. and i need a little bit more of a lift so i can have better tire clearance. so how do u do the torsion and shackle lift?

Hey man, welcome to the boards. I'll jump in here for Gerald. Use the search function up at the top of the webpage in the grey tool bar. There you can search for "torsion twist" or "warrior shackles" and you will find literally 1000s of pages of info on this. That way you can find something you like and go with it from there. Good luck and again, welcome to the boards!

great story

this is my first time writing on this site, i've just joined and have really loved some of the stories that you all report, GJ, your a great story teller, and the pictures are great! Keep up with the write ups!!

Hail to the Texans. I love those stripes down the side. I think they really do something for your X. Very nice truck. Has it made it to the "Truck of the Week" yet, cough cough. Definately should be there, one of the cleanest off roaders I have seen. Congrats on such a nice truck.
Sorry to dig deep, but I really like this story and truck.

Back