Get your 5.0 shortblock now-while they are cheap!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Get your 5.0 shortblock now-while they are cheap!!!

Ford Parts Online list them as well.

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...ke=23&model=Mountaineer&year=1997&catalogid=1

I called them and they told me the short block had been discontinued form Ford and they are no longer available.

They are trying to get out of the misprint--I'll bet

Same issue happened once with me, I ordered an Edelbrock nitrous plate
online price for a 573.00 item was 57.30

I ordered and paid, and was told 2 days later it was "out of stock" and the order couldn't be filled. It was a drop ship order, Edelbrock told me they had several ready for shipment-
I just didn't push it--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Longblock = complete engine with heads and front timing cover-oil pan, sometimes intake and exhaust

Shortblock= assembled block, pistons, rods, crankshaft , camshaft, and timing chain only--

Really? I thought I read in the Ford Racing catalog that long blocks were used with the roller cam setup and that a non roller cam could be used in a roller motor if converted but a roller cam could not be used in a non-roller motor. Hense, a longer block.

Oh well....enough to get the blood flowing though...:)

I knew it was too good to be true but It's fun to find things like this.

By the way, I bought 25 of them....hehe

The blocks are all the same length. A non roller black has have the lifter valley drilled & tapped for the retainer for the roller lifter to be bolted on.

Really? I thought I read in the Ford Racing catalog that long blocks were used with the roller cam setup and that a non roller cam could be used in a roller motor if converted but a roller cam could not be used in a non-roller motor. Hense, a longer block.

nope-the "new" roller block has provisions for the roller lifter guides, and the retainer "spider"

now--the 351 w block is "taller" if this is what you were thinking

all 302 blocks have a 8.2" deck height--I think the 351w is 9.5"

deck height is distance from crank center to deck (head) surface

nope-the "new" roller block has provisions for the roller lifter guides, and the retainer "spider"

now--the 351 w block is "taller" if this is what you were thinking

all 302 blocks have a 8.2" deck height--I think the 351w is 9.5"

deck height is distance from crank center to deck (head) surface

I know I just read it the other night on the crapper. I'll have to look again when I get home because thinking about it, I have seen a "conversion kit" to convert a non-roller motor to roller.

I know I just read it the other night on the crapper. I'll have to look again when I get home because thinking about it, I have seen a "conversion kit" to convert a non-roller motor to roller.

yes--did you check you current engine for the plastic lifter guides?
if you have them, that is the kit you need--

yes--did you check you current engine for the plastic lifter guides?
if you have them, that is the kit you need--

Nope, I haven't cracked the valve covers yet. I wanted to get all the cleaning and painting done before I did that to keep the dust/rust/whatever out of the heads. I still have a small bit of that to go. I should be ready to crack them Wednesday though.

Nope, I haven't cracked the valve covers yet. I wanted to get all the cleaning and painting done before I did that to keep the dust/rust/whatever out of the heads. I still have a small bit of that to go. I should be ready to crack them Wednesday though.

umm, the lifter guides are under the lower intake manifold--:D

you know--with the lifters--:p:

umm, the lifter guides are under the lower intake manifold--:D

you know--with the lifters--:p:

Doght! For some reason I was thinking about valve seals when you said that.

I haven't looked in there yet either, really. When I took the intake manifold off, I threw a paper towel over it to keep crap from getting in there and haven't really looked in there when I finish cleaning the upper intake tonight and around the timing cover tomorrow.

did anyone order one??? if its not a scam im doing it right now...

so as an FYI that is the correct price. There is a core charge though not listed, as well as a shipping both ways. they wouldnt tell me it though...

Here is the definitive answer from Direct Ford Parts.

Dan, A short block lists for $1738.98 your price is $1280.32 however it has been discontinued and is no longer available from Ford. Thanks, Kelly

Back