• Register Today It's free!

getting a used second gen

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Thinking of buying a 1997 V8 eddie I saw on craiglist.
Anything I should know about 2nd gens (all my experience is with 2nd gen ranger 1st gen ex). Anything to look at in particular? Its got around 130,000 on it.

There were some other options, but they were all the SOHC V6, and im a bit leary of those with the timing chain problems they seem to have, and the difficulty of fixing that. I have heard the V8 is a better engine (even with 136K as opposed to 110K).

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it has a tick, it will more than likely be either the passenger side exhaust manifold has loose bolts or the EGR tube is cracked (also on the passenger side).

Other than that, its basically the most reliable Explorer ever made. Check the normal wear-out stuff like balljoints, brakes, etc. etc.

so for around 1600-2000 it would be a good price, even throwing in, say, 500-600 worth of unforseen repairs (ball joints, brake pads etc.. doing it myself)?

If you're looking for a 4 seater SUV, that will avg. 15mpg, tow 5klbs, and will just about run forever with regular maint. then yes id say its a good deal. :)

Of course now that ive said all this it will probably fall apart a month after you get it. :p:

I would have the transmission checked out prior to purchase.

I bought a 99 Sport with 128K on it and within 3000 miles I had to drop $1800 in it for a trans. rebuild. I've heard that the transmissions on some of these last forever, but my research shows that it's likely to have a trans. issue around 130-150K, that could be why they are getting rid of it now.

Blueraven

were your problems with the 6 cyl or 8 cyl. I thought the tranny on the 8 cyl had a better rep than the A4/4R

I would have the transmission checked out prior to purchase.

I bought a 99 Sport with 128K on it and within 3000 miles I had to drop $1800 in it for a trans. rebuild. I've heard that the transmissions on some of these last forever, but my research shows that it's likely to have a trans. issue around 130-150K, that could be why they are getting rid of it now.

Blueraven

The V8 Explorers came with the 4R70W (AOD) transmission that was also in other larger V8 powered Ford vehicles such as the F-150, Crown Vic, Mustang, etc. This is a stronger transmission for the Explorer compared to the 4R55 and 5r55 that sat behind V6 powered Ex's so its not as much of a concern.

I guess I should read your post better. Mine is a V6 5R55E.

Back