Getting a "wobble" at 30-35

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I finished my lift a few days ago. I have been busy at work and haven't gotten it to the alignment shop or had the tires balanced yet. I am not using a sway bar at this time and I am using a soft coil (300lbs/in). I drove it around a little bit to see how she rode. I imagined it would wobble at some point, but at about 30-35 the truck starts to wobble like a boat in the water. When I let off the gas the wobble will stop. I wont drive it faster than 30 at this point. Before the wobble starts the truck drives well.

I am going to take it to get an alignment done and the tires balanced tomorrow. I am going to put a sway bar with some type of end links very soon. Other than that, is there anything else I should consider that can cause this? I heard this described as the "grocery cart" wobble. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like that should solve the problem. Keep us updated on this.

If the tires are new, they should have been balanced on installation, unless you installed them yourself. But if no balancing has been done ever, this is most likely the problem.

BUT..........

Did you have your drive shafts off for the lift install? Did you mark them and put them back the same way as they were before removal? This could be a source of wobble if your tires are not at fault. Also check your front axle nuts, and your rear U-bolts.

Running without a sway bar should not give a wobble.

Yeah I installed the tires myself. Going to have them balanced today hopefully. I did take off my front driveshaft, or at least disconnect it. If I did not put it back exactly where it was it would cause a wobble, even in 2wd? Rear ubolts are tight. I haven't messed with the axle nuts.

front shaft should not b turning in 2 wheel, unless hubs are locked, chances r your tires r the prob.

I had this problem with my old tsl's and still have it with my mtr's. I'm pretty sure its just a balancing issue.

Has anybody that's running the James Duff arms had any problems with a wobble after install? I too believe it's probably that my tires need to be balanced. I was told by a local mechanic that if the arms have to much of a angle on them it could cause a wobble also. Anybody know anything about this?

I had the death wobble at a higher speed after the lift kit, mine was a multiple of things. Had bad ball joints on both sides, upper and lowers. The tires were checked, balance was still in, d shafts where they were suppose to be. But the wobble was still there, I ended up replacing both side uppers and lowers, used good wheel bearings with syn grease, once that was all done had a new alignment and it stopped the wobble.

But that is with my RC Lift not JD.

First I would get your alignment done. If you have bad ball joints or TRE's the alignment shop will pick up on that. Make sure all the steering all tight. And make sure you're steering sits flat... a little bump steer can turn into a lot of wobble really quick.

Well, I have an appointment at the shop for 1200 tomorrow. Hopefully its as simple as the tire balancing. Steering is a little on the steep side. Was going to do a setup similar to stone crushers setup but with TRE's. I leave for a 4x4 camping trip on friday so I simply ran out of time to get everything done before the trip. No real serious issues except for the wobble. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Ok. Got the alignment and balance done. Wobble is gone at 50-55. Haven't gone faster than that. The steering isn't flat but that will be fixed shortly. For now, so I can go on my trip this weekend, the steering and suspension is done. Thanks for all the help.

after the alignment mine started wobbling again at 60-65, but i was told it was cause i went upto 33x12.5 and have a crappy ol steering stabalizer on it. change my stabalizer soon and itll do better.. hope you get your ride all working right, take some wheelin pics

Back